How to: Reset Workspaces / remove them to go back to original single screen with dock at bottom

There needs to be an easy way to get rid of / remove Workspaces or reset to the desktop state before they were activated.

I deleted my .config folder and restarted to get rid of them, because I couldn't see any user interface facility to remove them and I could only see my dock when I clicked on the rectangle at the top left.

So annoying - where the hell is a button or something to go back to a plain old single screen with the dock at the bottom?!

Here's the problem I had:

No dock:

Dock only displayed when clicking on the top right:

20240509_175830 workspace icon at top left

Yes, there are Workspace settings in Settings but trying those had no effect.

There really needs to a but to get out of this annoying mode.

As I say, I had to rm -Rf .config - which isn't most user friendly and a bit drastic.

Credit: Workspace Indicator Extension - #7 by Aravisian

1 Like

You could go in Zorin Appearance and choose a different Desktop Layout. Or You simply install the Dash To Dock Gnome Extension.

Ponce-De-Leon

You could go in Zorin Appearance and choose a different Desktop Layout. Or You simply install the Dash To Dock Gnome Extension.

Zorin Appearance wasn't available. I usually see that at the top right, but all I had was:

An clicking / tapping on that just showed the Workspaces.

Thank you for suggesting anyway, appreciate your time taken to read and offer a solution.

swarfendor437Regular

askubuntu.com

I had tried in that area, a few different combinations but no luck, maybe there are further ones to try.

Question I would have for myself is how did I get into the multiple Workspaces to begin with, so that I can do it again to see what other settings there may be.

Thank you for offering a solution and for your time, most appreciated!

When You are on the Workspace, look in the Dock. There is on the right side this Symbol with the 9 Points. Click on it and You get the App Grid Overview with all of Your installed Programs.

I don't follow that answer. It doesn't appear to answer my question. I'm not looking for the "App Grid Overview with all of Your installed Programs".

When You are on the Workspace, look in the Dock. There is on the right side this Symbol with the 9 Points. Click on it and You get the App Grid Overview with all of Your installed Programs.

Yes I know that, I can see the 9 points here:

And I know that tapping the 9 points shows all the installed apps as you say - but that's not what I am looking for. I want the dock to stay permanently as it did before.

I don't want to have to tap this in the top right corner:
https://forum.zorin.com/uploads/default/original/3X/e/9/e9e8172e84a6e2992c78cd3fe0f05b62501b3937.png

...to then be able to see the dock:

After clicking on the 9 dots and looking through your apps, do you see something like Settings or Zorin Appearance in there? If you do see Zorin Appearance once you get there you will be able to change the preset desktops under Layout.

I think I know which layout you are referring to. It does not have visible some of the buttons for navigation. Also if you go into the apps section, you should be able to search for Zorin Appearance too.

1 Like

I wrote that so that You can get to Your Programs to open Zorin Appearance and choose another Desktop Layout because You wrote:

And as an Alternative to that I suggest to install the Dash To Dock Gnome Extension because with that You have the Dock permanently on Your Desktop and not only in the Workspace Overview.

1 Like

@zorusr2 @Ponce-De-Leon Yes you're both correct - I can see Zorin Appearance from the App Grid Overview. I can then run this app to choose another Desktop Layout. Thank you both.

My observation is that the Zorin Z logo is present on several of the Desktop Layouts, so there is a symmetry in terms User Experience (UX) as in if you select a Desktop Layout, you can find the Zorin Z logo to click on again to run Zorin Appearance to change to another one.

But with the Workspaces Desktop Layout, the Z Zorin logo is missing so you have to find Zorin Appearance from the App Overview Grid via the 9 dots. So an asymmetry there in terms of User Experience: the way to undo the change is not the reverse of doing it.

2 Likes