How to revert Zorin to Ubuntu?

I need to get rid of Zorin and replace it with a vanilla Ubuntu build, but I need to do it in-place to avoid any data loss. Is there a way I can just uninstall all the Zorin packages without bricking my install?

Welcome to the Forum!

You could simply install the ubuntu-desktop Package over the Terminal or Synaptic. Then change on the Login Screen to the Ubuntu Desktop an uninstall the Zorin Desktop. Then You could turn off the Zorin Repo's and let only the Ubuntu Jammy Repo's active. but then You would have Ubuntu Jammy - that means Ubuntu 22 LTS. If you want Ubuntu 24 LTS, that is not an Option. You could then theoretically try to add the Noble Repo's or change the Jammy One's to the Noble One's but I wouldn't recommend that at all.

Another Option would be to seperate Your home Partition and then use the Ubuntu Installer and delete all except the home Partition and install the Rest of the System. But for this you have to manually create Partitions.

I think the easiest (and cleanest) Way would be that You save Your Data and then install Ubuntu normally.

2 Likes