How to uncouple speakers from the headphones on my laptop

Hi all,

I have the problem, that when I plug in a headphone jack, while sound does start on the headphones it still continues through the laptop speakers. When I check in the sound settings, it only shows one output device.
When I connect my headphones via Bluetooth, the sound switches automatically to the new output device.

I am still new to this OS so apologies if this a stupid question.

Cheers,
Jan

1 Like

I had this issue once, then I realized that I plugged my headphones to the microphone jack, because headphones and microphone jacks are close to each other, so check if you plugged to the wrong jack.

I think that's unlikely as the user mentions sound output from both speaker and headphone.

Don't be, and that's a perfectly reasonable question.
You can try enabling auto-mute from alsamixer
in terminal

alsamixer

right arrow to move to auto-mute-->up/down arrow to enable/disable it

1 Like

@jHuhn If that does not work. Whilst you have alsamixer displayed, take a screenshot and post here. It may give us more clues.

Hi,

thanks for all the answers.

I have played around with the alsamixer and tried out all the setting that I could find online.

Here is the screenshot.

Ohh and there is only one audio jack on the laptop. So I don't think that is the problem. (I did build a PC before and wondered why the screen was not working only to realise after two hours of troubleshooting that I plugged it in the motherboard and not the GPU xD)

Thats fine. So you have tried Automute enable/disable options to no effect.
If you hit F5 to list all soundcards. Is any other soundcard listed?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.