How to uninstall Zorin Connect and Print Settings if doing so via Software doesn't work?

The terminal responded with "invalid operation uninstall".

Aravisian's solution worked! What would be the command for Print Settings? Same as for Connect but with -print-settings instead (I tried it, but it didn't work)?

I am not sure what application you are referring to on this one...

This one. Obviously, remove doesn't work, hence why I'm asking here.

That would be:

sudo apt remove system-config-printer

However, the reason that the Software Store will not remove it is because it is inter-dependent with your Settings application: Gnome-Control-Center
Removing it will also remove several other packages, including your main Settings Application.
I recommend not removing it.

1 Like

Oh, that makes sense. Devs shouldn't had placed it in the remove-able section, then. Is there any other program that came pre-installed and is in the remove-able section which is inter-dependent with something you need? I'm now wondering, because I pretty much nuked everything from the remove-able section and I have the issue here: Installed apps tab in Software store has goes blank after each and every restart

Yes.
I do not have a list handy, but there are quite a few.
When it comes to removing things, only remove what you are Certain about removal. This is true on Windows, MacOS or Linux (Remember the "Teddy Bear" fiasco on Windows?)

Gnome-software...
Many of us could post for days on our observations and complaints about the Gnome Software Store.
Many of us do not use it.
Member @Frog once removed something from the Software Store and it removed the entire desktop along with it.
And in that, the hard lesson is learned:

Zorin uses the Gnome-Software store as it most resembles the Windows Store. It is easy to learn and use and offers little in the way of information that may confuse a new user.
That offering of little information is a major downside, too; As it will not notify nor warn the user of removal of dependencies, causing a user to damage their system.

For this reason, many of us use the terminal or for GUI, Synaptic Package Manager.
Synaptic tells you everything that it is going to do, install or remove, just like the terminal does. It tells you what dependencies are missing, just like the terminal does.
Gnome Software tells you... nothing.
It just stares at you blankly whenever you send it a command.

1 Like

I never used macOS, don't know about any Teddy Bears, but my Windows Control Panel would start out wiped. That's first thing I always did, wipe all I don't need. Program Files would be empty or near empty. Then I'd only install GPU drivers (AMD) and Steam + games from it, maybe get a browser other than Edge if I was feeling fancy. I never had an issue where Windows let me uninstall something I didn't need. I also never had an issue where I'd get lost in files in Windows. From the get-go, it's not the case for Linux, at least Zorin. There's tons upon tons of files and I have access to all, I get lost easily and there is no true minimal install. I don't like seeing this I don't use directly and Windows doesn't let you. It's one if not the only thing I miss about Windows.

If devs released a true minimal install for Pro, I'd buy it immediately. For now, afaik, the minimal is just the programs Core has, including stuff you don't need like the Microsoft Word replacements, etc.

I think this falls in a matter of perspective. What Linux allows you to see and access as opposed to what Windows allows you to see and access.
In Linux, files are sorted in a Logical Tree, with files placed where they are necessary to interact within the system.
Windows, on the other hand, is more like an explosion in a kite string factory, with symlinks used extensively to direct and redirect... Windows contains an expansive registry, causing package removals or tweaking to be unnecessarily complicated and easy to corrupt.
Removals in Windows can appear to be easier, since you are often not actually removing the full software suite, just the redirects. This means that dependencies are not affected - but it also means much bloat gets left behind.
On Linux, I can remove what I want, including dependencies. Sometimes, a package depends on another needlessly, created by the developer deliberately in order to to force you to keep or use certain software. For example, the Full Cinnamon Desktop dependent on Firefox Browser. Removing Firefox will also remove the Desktop Environment (This angers me.) This is avoidable by installing the Cinnamon Core desktop and not the Full desktop, at least.

This comes with a caveat though: You must learn your directory trees. Windows gets paid big money and it sells your data, so it can afford to Cover for the User and do things on the users behalf.
In Linux, there is no such entitlement. The user is responsible and must step up to the plate.

You might enjoy using the Gentoo Linux Distribution. It is very minimal - it comes with the bare essentials, nothing more. You must install everything else that you want or need.
This comes with a warning though... It is Very Minimal. You may need to install much that you do not expect... like Drivers just to get things to work.

1 Like

Nah, I like Zorin and I'll sit on it. Again, my issue isn't with things existing, but things existing in my sight. I have never had an issue with corrupt files in Windows. And I do have issue with bloat left behind in Linux, albeit I uninstalled via Software or using the remove feature through Steam or Lutris.

Again, I'd be happy to pay if I'd get what I want. I sent a tiny donation of 5 euros to Zorin, because I appreciate the distro. I was ready to purchase Pro due to the advertised minimal until I learned it's just Core.

Do you have any tutorials/guides in mind for learning the directory tree? I get lost a lot in it. I wish I could somehow hide what I shouldn't tinker with and don't have hidden what I use. I hate that for example .steam gets hidden by default despite containing files of interest since you still sometimes need to edit to enable Linux EAC when devs fail to.

I'm sure over time I'll pick stuff up, but I'm a fresh Linux noob so I'm still lost, just noticing what doesn't work.

I do not understand this statement.

I always run with hidden files in home folder revealed. It does make life much easier. Initially, I allowed them to stay hidden as it looked neater / cleaner. I learned, it is not worth it. And few enough people see my system to make showing off worthwhile. :stuck_out_tongue:

There really are not any specific guides for it. To give this a bit of perspective, it is for the same reason you cannot find written instructions very easily, for learning how to ride a bike. Written instructions mean little compared to getting in and Doing It.
You can read nothing, get on a bike, and be riding like a champ within a day.
But you can read all the manuals, guides, instructions you can find - and fall off the bike the moment you first try.

A quick Crash Course Here:
Your primary interest is in the Installed Software.
For you installed Software: Personalized Configurations are stored logically in your Home Directory - where you have fast and easy access to them to modify them and where they are easily transferred to a fresh OS install.
These are in ~.config or ~./local/share
Some installed software creates its own easy to find directory, like Steam: ~/.steam

Installed Application Data is stored in ROOT, preventing easy write access, creating a Secure Sandbox in which you can run your applications without damaging your system and without allowing malicious foreign actors access to alter your installed software.
The Directories of interest to you for this are
/opt - Here you will usually find the data files for Chrome based Browsers, like Brave, Vivaldi or Chrome. IrfanView apps also go here, like XNConvert. Mega App is placed here.
The lions share go to /usr/share
Here, you can browse to the Application Folder that you wish to access. For example, if I install BleachBit and want to modify the Widget Window sizing:
/usr/share/bleachbit/bleachbit/GUI.py

As you can see, it is a direct logical path through the tree.
The /usr/share directory also houses your Application Desktop Files, which govern what appears in your App Menu. /usr/share/applications, here you can modify any .desktop file to your needs.
In /usr/share, the Icons, themes and Pixmaps, Backgrounds are all stored. As well as certain OS Specific scripts, such as needed for dynamic wallpapers or layouts.
So this directory is the most Useful to You.

The other directories in root deal with other things. Your system wide profiles are stored in /etc. Your dependencies, necessary libraries are in /lib. Cache, logs and temporary files are in /var.

1 Like

It comes with all the programs Core comes with, which I uninstalled. I consider minimal to be the bare minimum of programs you need, so pretty much just what makes the PC run and then a browser. Programs for opening .zip, graphic editing, etc. aren't minimal - if I need them, I can get them, but I don't want them there by default. I'm very particular with my own devices and had what I considered to be bloatware uninstalled on my Android and Windows (back before I switched) with Powershell if it wasn't available to uninstall otherwise.

I have the hidden files enabled now, of course.

So is .local and .config all I'll need for regular use? Is this essentially what Program Files is on Windows? I was entering the regular Computer directory and there were folders such as 'etc', 'dev', 'proc', 'lib' which are full of folders and got me lost, trying to find what I need.

Truth be told, I don't touch 'root', because it requires a password which logically tells me it gets extra protection so you don't frick up the system. From the stuff I watched before Linux I got the idea that 'boot' is for booting the system and 'root' is essentially the most important stuff, so I shouldn't touch. Now, I get very lost when I install the rare Windows stuff like Battle.net. It insists it's installed in C and it gets put in a safe(?) environment of sorts, but I cannot choose where to install it on Linux, because it insists it's on Windows. I have to launch Battlenet through its installation .exe, because I cannot find the file responsible for its launch which would work. I do it through Steam's Proton, ofc.

Yes, and much more. However, during install, there is an option for Minimal Install with a checkbox. Checking this ON should install none of that, just the browser and Basic packages.

Having experienced the Bloat of Both Windows and Android (GOOGLE), I think we can all relate and understand. Android... Wow... and it won't let you remove much. The cell provider does this, too. They sell you a phone with so-many gigs of storage, then they eat up 90% of that storage allowing you no option to fix it.
However...
It is noteworthy that on Linux, it is nowhere near so bloated. While there may be packages you do not need, so much, they take up much less space. Zorin Core takes up only about 8gigs fully expanded. My copy of Windows 11 gobbled up 40 gigs as it came preinstalled.

Ah... I really prefer to avoid cross comparisons.
Windows and Linux are different in many ways. I would not consider ~/.config to be akin to Program Files... But they have some similarities. Both store user configs for installed software, for example.
Is it all you need for regular use - I have no idea what your regular use is.
It is the location you can access to see your Software Specific Configurations.

/usr/share should fulfill what you need; but that is ROOT so exercise With Caution.
You can use this forum to Check in Advance of actions you wish to take. After performing a few procedures, you will begin to remember them and remember locations and rely on the forum less and less until you are riding on your own.

It would be in the Virtual C: drive placed in the ~/.steam directory.
Wine does this too; there is a Virtual C: Drive in the ~/.wine directory that you can navigate exactly the same way as you could on Windows.

2 Likes

I distinctly remember reading under some Pro review an user claiming minimal still installs all what Core comes with. I found a mention of this on Reddit Reddit - Dive into anything 'The Pro version has an option during the installation to use a minimal installation; this will only install the apps that are installed on Core.' - meaning I'd be back to where I am now, but with everything I uninstalled back.

For me it's not about space, but, as I keep saying, seeing it. It drives me mad.

I did end up finding the folder a while ago, but none of the files in it work. I add them the same way I added the setup, I force-enable proton, I press play, but, unlike setup, they never launch.

Hmmm... I am uncertain on this. I had Zorin OS Ultimate and used the Minimal install - and it was minimal, I can tell you.
Perhaps Zorin OS Pro is different in this. Zorin OS changed from offering the Ultimate Version, to the Pro Version and they made several changes to it. For example, Ultimate came with a bunch of Linux Games - Pro does not (But they are in the repo and can be installed).

1 Like

I trust you. The post is from 7 months ago, but I somewhat doubt it's out of date and I cannot find in Google information about what the Pro minimal install entails precisely.

I'm all for devs offering a lot of pre-installed stuff for people who need them, but I use none of them. I'm very much just a gaming and browser user. I don't need OBS, etc (I reckon it's one of stuff pre-installed with regular Pro install). Maybe if I manage to find info about what Minimal has, I'll buy Pro and have all my issues fixed, haha.

Pro is aimed toward the crowd that likes to explore app offerings. To Get something for what they pay. It really is not geared toward the Minimal Install...
It would not be worth it to you to choose Pro, then find it it does not do what you want.

When I first moved over to Linux from Windows... I did very similar. I went into ROOT, too. And removed anything extraneous.
I nuked my build.
A lot.
It bothered me seeing things I do not use.

Then I started making themes and icon sets and found it useful to keep a lot of the stuff I didn't want.
It allowed me to Test my creations rather than awaiting bug reports from users that won't bother to make a report.
In the end, it caused me to get over my attitudes... My hard drive is mostly free space. I do not need to worry about some app I do not use taking up space.
I understand your point as I am much the same way. But I also point out that it is OK to relax a bit. :wink:

1 Like

I'll probably grow into that attitude. Do you know if there is a list of Core pre-installed stuff that's safe to uninstall? I think I might need to reinstall my system for Software to work properly. :sweat:

Not handy but... I bet a list could be compiled...

1 Like

If my eyes don't fail me, DistroWatch.com: Zorin OS seems to have the list in the table below. The only one I recognize from stuff I've uninstalled is LibreOffice, but, as you saw through the Terminal, I uninstalled far, far more. I went from 2 pages in 'Show Applications' to 2 lines in one page. (with some bulk in Utilities folder, but I only put there stuff which Software doesn't allow to uninstall). I'll reinstall the system right now. If you come up with what's safe to get rid of, I'll appreciate, but I'm aware I stole a lot of your time and will understand if you don't want to waste any more.

That is not a list of all installed, just the general common packages for comparison with other distros.
Once you reinstall Zorin OS, open terminal and run:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

apt list --installed

Paste the output of apt list --installed using the Gear Icon on the reply window toolbar - Hide Details