How to upgrade from "lite pro" to "regular pro"?

Settings states "No adapter found."

It's always something :frowning:
Guess I'll go make another ticket in the hardware section for this issue.

If I were you I would use the windows boot drive to format my entire system partitions and drives with all the previous configurations, So that there is no operating system left.
Then I would have tried inatalling the new OS with probably less problems🤔

2 Likes

I just realized in going to the hardware section that there is a Zorin 15 ultimate? Is that what they are calling Pro in 16/16.1? If so then what is "core"? Too many stupid things to keep track of when it should just work.

1 Like

AHCI is Advanced Host Controller Interface.
RAID is Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

What these do is govern and facilitate communication between the Memory and the Hard Drive.

Switching from AHCI to RAID can sometimes enable some machines to recognize Drive Devices. This can happen if the device is older - AHCI is relatively newer than RAID. The devices need to be initially programmed to accept communication with AHCI.

Switching AHCI / RAID is performed within the BIOS settings of the computer, independent of the Operating System.

It all is confusing, until it makes sense.
MBR - Master Boot Record is the older process of ensuring that Boot contains the necessary data to initialize a system fully. EFI - Extensible Firmware Interface performs the same function but in a different way. UEFI is Unified Extensible Firmware Interface.
MBR Is limited to being able to boot a Maximum of Four partitions (Which I believe is what @anon6471198 was aiming his question toward).
EFI can handle more than four partitions. EFI requires a partition of its own, which contains the necessary data for booting the other partitions.

It may be best to not go into the details of the differences between the two. The thing to try is testing if you are able to boot in Legacy which is MBR, should EFI boot of the USB drive fail. The USB drive itself, may be the problem.

Which it looks like you also tried.

• Switching AHCI to RAID may help.
  • Switching USB stick for a new one. The USB may not work correctly with the Boot partition on the Lenovo computer.
  • Update BIOS Firmware may be all you need to do.

Other things to check:

• During installation, please be sure to select the ext4 file system for now.
  • Power supply to the computer - this can cause voltage irregularities if it is failing.

Zorin OS used the "Ultimate" name for the Pro editions up to Zorin OS 15. As of Zorin OS 16, the ZorinGroup has remodeled the premium edition to be more Professional Oriented and renamed it Pro.

All Zorin Operating Systems come in

• Core - Utilizes the Gnome Desktop Environment, augmented by ZorinGroup for increased functioanlity.
  • Lite - Utilizes the XFCE Desktop Environment, providing a full featured desktop environment that is also well suited to older and lower spec machines.
  • Education - Utilizes either environment and geared toward learning and development software of all ages to encourage our future.

These are Point Releases. Point releases are included in all major versions of Zorin OS and they essentially just mark a point where Zorin OS has received a significant amount of software updates over a period of time.

1 Like

RAID what i remember when i have NAS there was something about RAID.
RAID is propably using in servers and copy from one server to another if one is broken or hacked etc.
AHCI what i know i must changed when i using hard disk SSD.
I remember when we talking about my motherboard how there is something wrong with not recognize a things.

I have been using different USB sticks throughout my attempts

So i extended a cat5 cable across to my laptop and typed into the terminal "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y" and got back an error to the effect of "see apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details"

What now? I swear. Its always two steps back with this thing.

So it finished updating and rebooting. The wifi still isn't working. I typed in uname -a and the kernel is 5.4.0-125 generic.
What is interesting is the desktop has the usb icon on it which has the 16.1 pro image upon it.
Is it possible to upgrade it from that and if so, how?

EDIT (earlier I typed Xenial. I meant Bionic. A flaw of the brain, but I have corrected the post below)

The error most likely means that you were trying to update from a repository that is no longer active. If this is run on Zorin OS 15, then that would be a Bionic Repository.
Without knowing what software you have installed, it's hard to know which repo is deactivated.
The Zorin Stable Repository still holds Bionic packages.

It is not possible to "upgrade" 15 to 16 using that.
However, it is showing the Zorin 16 on USB... It is being recognized. This strongly suggests still that the Boot order is what is not recognizing the USB.

It is important to remember: An operation performs only what it is supposed to perform. If you try to run an operation that does not do what you are hoping it does, it likely is not two steps back, but not the correct step forward.

It will not updated what i wondering sha checksum are diffrent and all ecosystem ISO image lite is isn't lite pro. Zorin 15 cannot updated to Zorin 16. I unpacked example filesystem.squashfs casper Zorin 16 pro to trying updated Zorin Lite to pro without success.

So what is different with the boot order? How do I fix that? I've tried various distros on various USB sticks. The laptop's bios has a boot order, which I've changed to having the USB stick going first, and have gone back in to verify that it stays that way.

Just for giggles, I'm trying it again using a USB 2.0 flash stick with zorin pro 16.1 on it. Maybe it's a USB version issue?

And the 32gb USB 2.0 drive is not recognized by the laptop. Interesting thing is it was being recognized when I had Ubuntu 22.04 on it yesterday.

I don't get it.

I had my bios revert back to default values and then put it back into legacy boot. It didn't work. Still not seeing zorin pro 16.1 on usb2.0 32gb flash stick

I'm now going to put ubuntu 22.04 back on the same exact flash drive again and see if it finds it again.
BTW, I've downloaded zorin 16.1 pro a few different versions (1 to 3) and there is no different result.

1 Like

I edited my post above to correct an error.

No, USB 2 or 3 should work fine. the 2.0 would just be a little bit slower, is all.

What is notable is that the USB sticks (You said you tried several of them) are not being recognized in BIOS or by the system itself, whether or not you have Linux installed.

Have you tried using different USB ports? Assuming you have multiple ports available.

I am little confuse. On this all timer you tried updated Zorin to Zorin Pro. Then you wrote you tested all Zorin 16 version also with Pro. We talking about problem installation or hardware problem - where after start live Zorin you get Black screen. So your hardware cannot support Zorin 16pro? It was somewhere website where you can check your hardware if is compatibility with Linux and which version.

So using the very same USB 2.0 32gb flash drive, in the same exact laptop USB port, ubuntu is recognized.

Bourne:
I've been "TRYING" to install zorin pro 16.1 on my lenovo laptop. Older versions of zorin (i.e. 15) will install on my laptop as does Ubunu 22.04 and the latest Linux mint. I have had no luck with any of version of Zorin 16 as my laptop does not seem to want to boot from it. EVEN when using the same exact flash stick, though I've also been testing it with a few I have laying around.
So far, with all my attempts, zorin 16.1 is not being recognized by my lenovo laptop for installation.