How to use android apps in zorin os

I was trying to use an android software. And heard of anbox. But how can I get google play running on anbox. Or how can I get virtual box for android ??

1 Like
2 Likes

Using Android apps in Zorin OS is easy. This setting also makes using social networking apps yo whatsapp on YoWaPlus, facebook on Android much better.

1 Like

Thanks . Don't really know how to use it but I will google it by my own..

Then we need using some emulator to working app from Google Play store.

Check out the best ways new Users Prefer to run Android apps on Linux:-

22 Likes

This specifically mentions Google Play so it may be able to help you. Zorin is based on Ubuntu 20.04. Zorin also comes with Snap by default

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-android-apps-games-linux/

1 Like

You can use a file manager or backup utility to create backups of Google play on your phone (I use ES File Explorer). Copy the APK created from the backup to your laptop and you will have Google Play on your laptop in anbox.

1 Like

At least on Zorin Lite 16.2, the kernel modules for running Anbox aren't present and the PPAs to get them never worked for me.

I've been thinking about running the app I need (WeChat) in a VM (either Windows or Bliss OS) as it's problematic in Wine and Anbox just can't get the necessary dependencies, for me.

Also it seems Anbox is abandoned now, with the replacement Waydroid not working on ZL because ZL uses X11 graphical server not Wayland.

1 Like

Wondered what I was doing wrong trying to run Waydroid on Zorin.

On Zorin OS Core, any user can switch to Wayland from the Login Screen.

Zorin OS 17 has Wayland set to default.

Wayland lacks compositor support, which is integral to many desktops including XFCE. This means Zorin OS Lite would need to bridge the gap between Wayland acting as the Compositor and the Desktop requiring a compositor protocol.
At this time, there is nothing in the works to suggest Zorin OS 17 Lite will use Wayland. Admittedly, this is likely for the best considering that Wayland is still so incomplete that it is already causing varieties of issues on 17 Core.

Frankly, I am admittedly shocked that the ZorinGroup opted to make Wayland the default on Zorin OS 17.
This is in part, why Zorin OS 17 had to do away with the standard screenshot tool and use one that is built into the Gnome Shell (Integrated app rather than GnuLinux friendly modular) that (no surprise, Gnome) lacks the features of the previous screenshot tool but has promises that they soon are coming.
Don't hold your breath.

1 Like

First of all, install Anbox on your Linux system using the official instructions. Next, download the Open GApps package from opengapps, extract it, and copy the necessary APK files (like Google Play Store) into the Anbox container using a file manager or adb push command. Then, access the Anbox container using adb shell and manually install the APK files. After these steps, restart Anbox, and you should have Google Play services running.

For running Android on VirtualBox, you can use an Android x86 ISO image. Create a new virtual machine in VirtualBox, attach the ISO, and install Android as you would on a regular device. Keep in mind that VirtualBox may not have the same hardware support as Anbox, so performance may vary. Make sure to enable VirtualBox's virtualization feature in your BIOS for better performance.

Download apps, enable ARM, and use. Simple.

Is this helpful for you?