HP Laptop suddenly stops working

PC: HP ENVY x360, 64-bit, AMD® Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon Graphics × 6
Linux Distro: Zorin OS 16 PRO

So, whenever I'm on my laptop, it can be used for a while without any problems. At some point, however, it just stops working.

The internet, for example, will show full bars but I'm unable to refresh the brower pages. Another moment is when I close the PC for a moment. When I open it, the screen's black; nothing I do gets it to display. Sometimes, locking it also triggers this response. If I go to restart it, it gets stuck on the Power Off screen. After a bit, I'm forced to manually press the power button to turn it off.

I'm a bit at a loss here. This problem happens wherever I am, so it's difficult to pinpoint anything environmental. I'm not sure if there's something I installed that's causing this to happen, and I keep everything updated & cleaned. At this point, I'm thinking the laptop itself might be the problem. Can't get a refund since I bought this 2 years ago, so my other option would be to resell it. I guess it wouldn't be too bad, I'd get the money to buy myself a new computer, but it's the fact that I'd have to even look for something that makes it an irritable situation.

Maybe someone hear might have something in mind?

I think it has to do with your cpu and gpu and the kernel zorin uses. Kernel 5.15 has alot of amd fixes, sadly zorin is still on 5.11.

Huh. That's interesting. Never thought about that before. I'm assuming the developers are working to fix this incompatability?

Are you dual-booting alongside Windows?
If so, do you get the same laptop behaviour running Windows.

You mention "close the PC", "locking it", "black screen"..
I am wondering therefore if it is your Power settings in ZorinOS that is causing this.

Maybe worth you searching "black screen" here on the forum.

1 Like

Many have more luck rolling back to an earlier kernel version...

Like the other poster asked, does this happen on your Windows side if you're dual booting. If so, that leads to a hardware issue. An overheating CPU will cause issues like this.

1 Like

OK - I believe figured it out!

It's NordVPN. So, yesterday, I was experiencing the internet problem at work. I'm not sure why it came to mind, but I had the idea of turning off the firewall to see what it'd do. The internet changed from its '?' to the actual bars, and I was able to surf the web without needing to restart the computer.

It lasted a lot longer than I expected, but I ended up having to reset the computer because the internet cut off. I turned the firewall back on, and realized I still had Nord installed AND running. Guys, the moment I disconnected from it, it's like a cloud was uplifted. Not only is the computer actually keeping connected to the internet, but I'm also able to close/lock/suspend it without having to completely reset the darn thing!

It made me realize how obvious the problem was? I still have my old laptop around, and I remember dealing with internet problems because of NordVPN; heck, I instinctively turn it on/off because I KNOW whatever I'm trying to do will get cut off. :tired_face:

Sorry for the lack of responses. I really do appreciate the help you guys have given; if I was dealing with it completely by myself without asking for any help, I'd probably resell the pc for something different, even with my finances being so tight.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.