HPLIP help from a Linux newbie, Windows Pro

Hello,
I switched from Windows to Zorin OS yesterday and the main concern was hardware, specifically my HP LaserJet Pro M15w printer. I made this leap at the suggestion of @Aravisian. If anyone is interested here is how I got HPLIP to install. This took about 4 hours and a lot of frustration.

I started with a clean install of Zorin OS and did these steps and got the printer working before doing anything else.

In terminal I ran these commands in this order

sudo passwd root
I setup this account as it is needed for hplip install

sudo apt update

sudo apt install python-dev libcups2-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev libtool-bin libcupsimage2-dev libcrypto++-dev libssl-dev libsnmp-dev libsane-dev python-qt4 python-qt4-dbus python-pyqt5 python3-pyqt5 python-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python3-dbus.mainloop.pyqt5 python-notify xsane libdbus-1-dev
Source: Upgrading hplip in Zorin OS for Scanner - #5 by kabuki-kai

sudo apt-get install libavahi-client-dev
Source: Install libavahi-client-dev on Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install libavahi-client-dev

Download latest hplip 3.21.6 - hp's Developer Portal | Version: 3.21.6

I had to run the custom installation because the automatic install kept giving 'make' errors

I didn't need any network or scanning capabilities since this is a USB printer attached to my computer, so I chose to install discrete drivers.

Lastly I ran hp-setup from terminal and got a GUI which walked me through setting up my printer.

I hope this helps people coming over from Windows.

Tjanks,
Rich

2 Likes

When I was using HP Laserjet P1005 with USB connection, I could install Linux driver using wget and run a batch command.
See, for example,
https://idroot.us/install-hplip-ubuntu-20-04/

I did not try this in my Zorin 16 since this USB only printer has been converted to a network printer using Raspberry Pi (operating with CUPS). But the above method should still work in Zorin 16 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04.