I cannot use multiple monitors

After installing I tried using 2 more monitors and in the setting no display . I ran the command - sudo lshw -c video
and i got
isplay
description: VGA compatible controller
product: UHD Graphics 620 (Whiskey Lake)
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:129 memory:a0000000-a0ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

What do I need to do to get the hdmi controller to show and be able to detect two other monitors? and LG ultrawide and a view sonic. During my installation I did not use the NVIDIA route because I dont think may laptop had any of those.

Can you see if there are multiple options under: Software Updater -> Settings -> Additional Drivers? If there are any can you switch to one of them and see if that helps?

Changed from Chat to Hardware.

1 Like

I tried and did not show me any other.
I installed the Pro version

CarMar is there anything else i can do? I think this machine has Intel graphics card. How do I check the card it has . This is a Lenovo Thinkpad e590

I guess I will need the uhd graphics 620 (whiskey lake) driver. Can anyone confirm if that is what I need to do and how to go about it ? commands etc ? I am new to Linux -Just don't know how to get i

Try these:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=314526

1 Like

I tried this sudo apt-get install mesa-utils and reboot and still not detecting monitors

Would you mind replacing the cables and trying again?
Also, please try shutdown instead of reboot. On my wife’s machine (different from yours) I had a weird temporary lack of recognition of monitor at one time.

1 Like

I left out the fact this laptop is connected to a lenovo docking station with e HDMI connectors. I unhooked them and reconnected them then power off my laptop and still does not recognize in the display setting the 2 other monitors. Thanks so much for your help. Do you think I have to install the drivers for the graphic card separately ?

Aha that was the issue. It was the dockingstation interface. I used an usb-c 2 monitor adapter instead and it was able to detect them. Thanks Carmar

1 Like

Glad it worked out. Please mark your post as the solution.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.