I can't enable the power indicator

That's your power supply. So the kernel isn't recognizing the battery. Let me do some research. I'll look through the kernel flags, and try to see if there's anything we can do with modprobe to load kernel modules.

I would appreciate the help very much, thank you!

Ok, let's get more a verbose boot log to see what's going on:

sudoedit /etc/default/grub

Add "apic=debug" to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=

sudo update-grub

Reboot

sudo journalctl -b | grep BAT0
sudo journalctl -b | grep battery

Let us know your results.

isfun@isfun-HP:~$ sudo journalctl -b | grep BAT0
Jan 31 00:37:27 isfun-HP kernel: ACPI: battery: Slot [BAT0] (battery absent)
isfun@isfun-HP:~$ sudo journalctl -b | grep battery
Jan 31 00:37:27 isfun-HP kernel: ACPI: battery: Slot [BAT0] (battery absent)
Jan 31 00:37:35 isfun-HP tlp[1865]: Setting battery charge thresholds...done.
Jan 31 00:38:30 isfun-HP gnome-software[3416]: not handling error download-failed for action refresh: E: The repository 'Index of /iaz/battery-status/ubuntu focal Release' does not have a Release file.

Here're the results

Ok, there's not much we can do with loading kernel modules... I'm now investigating whether the SMBus is kicking the battery off the bus (which it would do if the chip on the battery was malfunctioning and holding the SMBus low for an extended period... longer than 25 ms), or if the battery is simply communicating too slowly and the SMBus times out trying to communicate with it. So I'm attempting to find a way to increase SMBus timeout first. If that doesn't work, you'd have to find someone with an identical laptop and swap batteries to see if their battery works in your machine. If their battery doesn't work, either, that pretty much eliminates a bad SMBus chip on your battery.

That's quite a task...

I found one interesting thing:

As I have an HP, I guess the main reason is this. because on Windows I never had any problem with a battery.

There is a fundamental error in that Rob Nickmans quote - it is not a bug - clearly HP need to have continued support from M$ so they want to keep it closed source hardware. That is not a software bug but bad hardware design.

I can see replacing your battery will be fun!

I guess it doesn't worth the trouble, and I will probably get back to Windows again(
Thank you all for the suggestions

I have an HP EliteBook 820 G1 notebook, running Zorin 16 Pro Lite. On my desktop, on the panel from the right hand side, I have 'Date & Time', then 'Computer Discharging (92%, 4 hours 44 minutes). If I click on this icon I get 'Hewlett Packard Primary, then Display Brightness, Presentation mode (off), then Settings). Perhaps you should install Zorin Lite instead. Don't pay attention to the statement that Zorin XFCE is for low-spec computers. It is better and faster than Zorin Gnome version. I use it on my desktops x 2 and my notebook.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.