I can't install other program in my terminal because of a failed installation

I just install it from the terminal by

sudo apt install gambas3

but I delete it because it won't lunch.
I re install it and try some twicks from the community, but still don't work. Then this morning, I try to install some utility from terminal and it replaying me this problem.

Can you clarify this?

Have you tried the .deb package posted above?

1 Like

After I install the deb file and try you said command, i t give me this new error meseegae

sudo rm /usr/share/gambas3/template/console/.directory

sudo apt --fix-broken install

looks like it reply me the same message a while back after the commands.

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gambas3-ide_3.16.3+git202109141524.185a3d4a3+build15~ubuntu20.04/1_all.deb

sudo apt clean && sudo apt -f install

It said I can't access it

I typoed.
-sigh-

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gambas3-ide_3.16.3+git202109141524.185a3d4a3+build15~ubuntu20.04.1_all.deb

I'm reading this off an image, so you can compare that against what you have on the Screen In Front Of You before hitting Enter.

sudo apt clean && sudo apt -f install

3 Likes

IT FIXED!
I can install again from the terminal.
Thanks Dude your the best!

3 Likes

What happened there that sent everything into a tizzy...:

The initial installation was done without the Gambas repository. For some reason (that I do not fully understand) the Ubuntu Universe contains an incomplete copy.
When that was installed, it was partially installed... So did not work.
When you removed it, it partially removed, leaving behind packages (This is a good reason to always remove packages with the --purge parameter).
With APT still holding the original Ubuntu version in the cache, when you tried to install or remove it completely, dpkg was put in a position to recognize BOTH and it cannot do both.
So, you needed to add the repository, then force the overwrite, then clean the apt cache, then force the install.

Once done, you should be able to remove it (If you still want to) with

sudo apt remove --purge gambas3 gambas3-dev-tools

If so, you may also want to remove the repository for it, as well.

sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:gambas-team/gambas3

IF you want to keep it

sudo apt update && sudo full-upgrade

Then launch and test.
If it doesn't work, I vote nuke the thing.

I thought purge is for Ach base distro, so it will also work in Debian base

Yes, --purge works on almost all Linux distros.

2 Likes

For future reference, please include the command run to show output.. your password (if required) will not be shown. It was extremely difficult to follow what was happening because i could not tell if you were running the commands aravisian has shared to assist you. That is why i didn't jump into this troubleshoot. Something to keep in mind in the future since unclear responses will prevent others from assisting, when it could possibly be to your benefit.

3 Likes

Or in any OS which uses Bash.
I can use the same command in macOS terminal as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.