I switched to Windows temporarily...And I have made some observations

He want sayed we repairing windows but i using Linux? Besides usefull tool.

1 Like

I agree with OP.

The simple fact is a lot of the really big open source and cross platform apps, by those I mean apps like FireFox, actually run better in Windows or at least as well, and are heavily optimized.

Same goes for any 4K/HDR/video support - but that has more to do with video drivers and hw accel.

Linux file systems (ext4) are faster than NTFS when it comes to lots of small file access, NTFS is more resilient and as fast for large files. This matters based on the kind of app you use.

Windows already has prefetch (you can add Preload in Linux) for everything.

HW drivers is not really a contest and MS actually spends a lot of time ensuring backward compatibility, thats separate from oem's supporting Windows more.

I know that Linux is more efficient in most areas, but that is not really apparent or relevant since computers have been fast enough for a decade now.

Ever since Windows 7, BSODs are also a thing of the past, as is virus protection. Windows has NAT firewall and Defender and the defaults are good enough for 99% of people who will never get infected.

In conclusion both Windows/Linux are excellent, the usual issues associated with Windows are a thing of the past, Windows 10/11 is excellent, optimized, fast OS that supports every hw ever made, will run any app from 20yrs ago (try that on any other OS) and keeps getting leaner and faster.

And Linux of course runs the world, there is really nothing to be said.

2 Likes

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with one of your statements. Windows 10 will NOT run any app from 20 years ago nor support older hardware. I even have some MS games that ran fine on Windows XP and Windows 7 but they will not run on Windows 10. I also have a MS force-feedback steering wheel and pedals with a USB connection that will not run on Windows 10. And the interesting thing is my MS force-feedback steering wheel works fine on Linux. I have never used Windows 11 so I can't comment on what it can or can't do. When MS tried to force me to update my PCs to 11 I switched everything to Linux and now i'm very glad I did.

I have actually not found anything that I want to do that Linux can't do. I use my PCs for occasional video editing. I also do online research and write my own Sunday School lessons using Biblical research material and Bible apps. I use my Linux computer as a RC flight simulator. I also have even used it to write and edit programs for a CNC router. I can also draw electrical schematics with it. And of course like most users I sometimes play games on my PCs,

I will admit it sometimes takes some research and effort to find the right Linux program for my use. But as I said so far I haven't run into anything that Windows can do that Linux can't do.

Respectfully,
Carroll

2 Likes

In that case I defer to you. I personally have tried to run some old Win 95/Me exes as well as dos based cmdline programs and they ran fine, but I certainly will not say everything will work, I will however say Windows backward compatibility is pretty great.

I stopped pc gaming a while ago, I'm a sw developer so I tend to be very biased towards Linux. My current setup is Windows 11 (my pc is too old to officially support it but its just a flag you can turn off to install) on which I run WSL and do a lot of my actual work in Terminal, plus an old Thinkpad on which I run Linux (right now EndeavourOS). I like both and have no issues, both excel in certain areas.

This one got a reaction out of me, too.
I had to manually patch multiple apps in order to get them to work on 10 after unhappily and forcefully upping from 7.
I stayed quiet since the last time I posted in this thread, things did not go so well...
But... no... I had to troubleshoot on Win10 a lot.
When I had to use Windows 11, that increased. Windows XP I really liked and Win 7 I liked. But 10 hurt and 11 nearly gave me a brain aneurysm trying to solve all of its issues. I was in and out of the registry more than I was the file manager.
A lot of my current animosity toward Windows stems mostly from Windows 10 and 11.

That being said, I agree with the majority of @ecr 's comments. Windows is the dominant OS, holding the lions share of the market. It has compatibility and support for sure.
It's the other side of Windows that I cannot deal with.

3 Likes

Since what people want in a PC differs from person to person, it is only natural that the best OS also differs from person to person. However, I am interested in what FOSS can do to prevent consumers from being disadvantaged by market monopolies.

2 Likes

I have a machine from 2016/2017 and it boots much faster then you have lol. Boot speeds are better for me on linux. Everything runs great, firefox etc. No issues here as what you write

False, you still need to install drivers to run the hardware. 2 months ago i reinstalled my linux desktop, within 15 minutes i was done installing my os, updating etc. My wife asked me is it already finished ???? With windows you where busy for about 2 hours.

All the drivers that need to be installed (chipset, sound, gpu and so on). The forced reboots after each update in windows. In linux everything litterly worked out of the box for me except that i had to change my pins for sound

How can a spyware OS be excellent to you ? And no, windows 11 does not ā€œofficialā€ support older HW so you are wrong in that part as well

It wont take long for linux to increase market share thanks to steam and their awesome support for Linux. Its a matter of time.

You are lucky to have never had to use Win 8/8.1, where Sinofsky introduced the ghastly full screen Start menu and pretended that every pc was a tablet.

Win 10 in many was is a return to Win 7 but with more modern base. In fact MS said it'd be the last version of Windows. But that doesn't market well so we have 11, which is the same OS underneath with a new Start menu (again) and the perennial mixing of Control Panel and Settings finally near the beginning of the end.

I need to use it for work, and for some apps I depend on, and while I don't hate it, I'm acutely aware of just how much better it can be. To me the biggest changes MS have made are in their adoption of Linux/Github/WSL/Azure, desktop Windows and Office are stagnant.

I don't know how to multiquote here.

w.r.t spyware yes there is a lot of telemetry, but its anonymous. And my take on the whole thing is that Google, Apple, FB and all the credit card companies and grocery store loyalty cards have FAR more data on you and your whole life is basically an open book simply based on browser history.

I know in this audience there's a good chance awareness of this is high and a lot of people probably use DuckDuckGo, don't have social media accounts etc but still there are many other forms of tech spying going on inc state sponsored. But that is another topic.

1 Like

Anonymous or not, itā€™s ridiculous that it is even added to a OS. It is against your privacy, most people will say ā€œi dont care i dont have anything to hideā€ā€¦till they found something against you.

I hate the way Microsoft is going, i disabled all their spyware with O&O shutup but after each big update (21H1-21H2-22H1-22H2) it enables all the spyware so they can watch everything again you are doing.

The forced updates/reboots i hate and i also hate that MS decides if your computer can run Windows 11 or not. My machine is 3-4 years old and is not supportedā€¦yet there are bypass methods that allows you to install windows 11 and receive updates just fine. My machine worked fine by the way with Windows 11.

Yet i still decided to stick with Linux and trash windows for good. The best OS from MS was windows xp and windows 7.

2 Likes

It wasn't luck. I avoided 8, Millennium and Vista all on purpose.

Sounds like a certain D.E. that I know of...:thinking:

That includes advertisements.

Or until a person feels the pressure from being exploited.

I was always a strict Windows user until I switched to Zorin OS. I used the computer when I needed to, for specific works and tasks. I did not use it as a hobby. It was a tool to be used, then put away when done.
I did not switch with a plan or intent.
It was an accident. My hard drive went out.
Someone had given me a copy of Zorin OS on disk that sat in my closet for months. I bought a hard drive that was blank.

It was a struggle. There was a learning curve.
I started on Linux on Zorin Core - Gnome. I couldn't seem to figure out how to do what I wanted or how to set the computer up my way. I had to troubleshoot a lot.
There are those on this forum that remember my beginnings - the days when I complained about Zorin OS and Linux a lot.
Yet another small accident led me to installing Zorin OS Lite, in spite of the entire effort being based on shifting to a different Distro.
And Linux opened up a whole new world for me. It became an interest, a hobby, something to learn about and tinker with.
I was able to configure, modify and set up my computer, my way. Troubleshooting decreased and the learning accelerated.
This computer I am on now came with Windows 10.
After I booted it up, it offered to "upgrade" to Windows 11. I declined.
Upon next reboot, it upgraded it anyway.
The illusion of choice apparently meant nothing.
Net searching the issue, Microsoft denies that this happens. I watched it happen.
But I used Win 11. I gave it a chance. And I can only describe my reaction to it... of sitting in that stale muddy pond after surfing the ocean as simple Revulsion.

I had forgotten about this. Updating suddenly without my realizing it was.
In the middle of working on a project when the computer would reboot itself...

2 Likes

Yup got that multiple times in Windows. Glad this does not happen in Linux at all. I love how linux updates.

1 Like

In all fairness they fixed this in W10 a while ago and in W11. Now you can choose when to reboot and schedule it. I'm not saying its a better experience than Linux but at least it doesn't reboot in the middle of you doing work.

Today i tested W10 and must sayed is ok, W11 is a military training a camp. I will be testing win 10 and check if i have some problems. Propably W11 this is the same product with update tmp and little change design. Reading also W11 is not to much to customization what was in W10
Well W10 not to long will be support.
Propably for gaming it is ok for younger people. I am more excited how you can create gnome , kde from scratch.
I reading also fresh installation W10 is ok but later is a catastrophy.

1 Like

Strange, cause my system force rebooted after a windows 11 update a few weeks/months ago. I did not even get asked if i wanted that or not.

1 Like

@ecr Propably when you updated automatic there was a option update to w11. I checked isi w11 this is W10 but only changed design. Selling the same product with diffrent desktop design.

I also experienced it on Windows 10 and 11 both and it was a big part of the altercation early in this thread.
I experienced several issues with Windows that both Microsoft and websites (thus, the user in this thread at the time) all said never happen.
It was sufficient enough to make me question my perceptions of reality.

1 Like

There was a time frame were updates were automatic and you had to opt out, same with major update such as 2h2* most updates for windows can be done with a scheduled reboot time-frame, the major upgrade ones usually force a reboot as they update core components. the version of windows you have also affects the behavior as home users have less control over update time and deferment that professional keyed, and enterprise licensed have full control over patch and update release.

Something else that occurs is when upgrades happen not all keys are wiped and if windows 10 had a user set reboot time or key by an application the windows 11 install would honor that. So MS would say No we won't auto reboot, but in reality it imported a key and does

After update all going to fabric settings windows? The same when you must accept when you doing first installation. Ofcourse login to microsoft account on chromebook. Full control operating system have on user. That why i am not using W10 when operating system choice better option and don't gived me option what is best for me.

My 2c on W10 vs W11 - I don't like that W11 has artificially limited the hardware they support, leaving a ton of older pc's out. Out of those maybe 0.1% of people (like me) will know how to bypass the checks when making an iso (its very easy with tools like Rufus etc) and do a clean install, once installed everything of course works just like it did since the TPM is never used by anyone.

I also hate the advertising in Start Menu as well as the obnoxious attempts to switch to Edge (even though Edge is quite good).

But..... W11 is nicer. The myriad settings actually are nicely organized. Performance seems a bit better. Things are cleaner. These are all minor things but they matter. There's official support for Windows Terminal + WSL, which is very welcome.

To me, MS is no worse and arguably better than Apple/Google and 100000x better than FB when it comes to privacy, and both those companies have a ton more data on you, even if you never used Google (very unlikely) or FB (even with no account they have data on you).

BSODs are gone. No one needs AV on WIndows anymore. Its actually a faster and smaller OS than previous versions. It supports all the modern standards, battery life is fantastic and it supports every hw ever made. And it can run just fine on a $300 pc you dont need a 2.5K Mac. I think these are things to be admired and that the Linux community can give credit to. Much like both MS and Apple know how great Linux is and depend on it.

Does this make me want to use Windows more. No. In fact I switched to Zorin. But I keep an open mind, all OSs have their pros/cons, take the best from each and learn what you can.

2 Likes