I switched to Windows temporarily...And I have made some observations

The promoted link (now removed) contains pirated copies. If a user wishes to buy any Microsoft product, it is logical to lead them to Microsoft, not to Reddit, to make their purchase securely and legitimately.

I've worked with Apple Macintosh for 25 years. The reason why I chose Apple back then was that the well-known music programs (Logic, Cubase, ProTools) did not (yet) run (properly) on Windows.
The Mac also felt a lot smarter, and I identified with Apple's 1997 "Think Different" commercial.

To this day, I still believe that Apple created a great operating system where everything works as it should.

Unfortunately, Apple is now one of the big tech companies along with Microsoft, google and Meta that thinks they own the world.

The devices have (always) been excessively expensive and a current MacOS no longer runs or runs very slowly on older hardware.

I also think the open source idea is wonderful.

I switched to Elementary OS two years ago for all of these reasons: I bought a fairly recent refurbished laptop and installed Elementary.

I installed Ubuntu on my wife's old Windows laptop. My wife and children get along wonderfully well with Ubuntu, despite initial skepticism. The system runs smoothly, in contrast to the Windows that was on it before.

I hadn't heard of ZorinOS back then.

I wasn't really dissatisfied with ElementaryOS, but I wasn't really satisfied either.

At the end of last year I read about ZorinOS while looking for alternative possibilities and I thought: This could be just the right thing for me.

My laptop now has an interface that is very similar to the usual MacOS feeling. All the applications I need are running. For hard disc recording, I use Ardor 7, which works for me just as well as ProTools, which I've been working on for many years. I installed the real-time kernel patch from Ubuntu Studio and Jack so that my audio interface can be addressed.

So far I only see advantages using ZorinOS instead of MacOS. I don't even want to talk about Windows.

I've now had a t-shirt printed with a penguin on it and the 1997 Apple advertising slogan "Think Different" ... :wink:

P.S. By the way, I like to pay for open source software and I think it's fair if the developers are paid for their work. But I can decide for myself how much the individual program is worth to me. If I use a program regularly, the developer gets more. And a program that I only need once a year, I have it there for testing.

1 Like

P.S. Unfortunately ZorinOS cannot be installed on AppleMacintosh computers (incomprehensible to me because, to my knowledge, Ubuntu runs on Apple hardware).
So now I'm going to try Linux Mint (debian edition) on a friend's 8 year old MacMini.

Please start a thread on this as many people are running Zorin OS on Macbooks and Macbook Pro.
You may have hit some kind of snag.

1 Like

Oh, now I know where my mistake was:

"Mac computers with Apple silicon processors are not currently capable of running Zorin OS natively."

But only the new Macs have Apple processors. The older ons have Intel ... (We don't want to talk about PowerPC or Motorola chips anymore, it's been too long... :wink:

2 Likes

If you want to start a new thread, I have installed Ubuntu Arm on a Pi400 and then the Zorin packages, may very-well work on new apple silicone. If someone wants to send me a brand-new macbook I'll gladly test it :laughing:

I have a friend and he told me the apple operating system working very good on qemu-kvm. The problems with macos they have good operating system,they are expensive and hardware could be a better for this price. Example not big hard disk,not to much ram. People sayed for this price you can build very good pc with components and if something will be not working you can replaced with new hardware. With apple products this is more complicated. Reading also apple stop produce version Studio.

I have been using Windows for a long time and I think it is the best operating system. I read a lot about Linux, but I found it to be a good operating system for office computers. There is nothing superfluous about Linux, and it works very fast. For private users, Windows is the best solution. Especially if you use a licensed version. The pirated windows versions have bugs and lags, so it is better to buy the --Windows activation key on reddit-- and get the full benefits from the Microsoft team.

MOD NOTE:
Spam Link Removed

Amusement noted: That we keep getting spam telling us to buy things on... Reddit.

Much better then to buy the license directly from microsoft instead….right…..talking about scam :joy:

1 Like

That's interesting, My windows boot time is literally 5 minutes while Linux is just 40-50 seconds.( I use hdd)

Firefox, brave,edge etc opens in 5 seconds in Linux while windows takes 50 seconds damn. And even after that application/browser is unresponsive kek

While Linux is very responsive. Everything is faster in Linux by 10 times.

For me linux is the only way my computer can work.

You literally can't use my laptop without it.

Linux puts life in my laptop.

4 Likes

When you have slowly hard disk the count time doesn't matter. You cannot saying a turtle he must be like a rabbit or...
sdtr

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.