I switched to Windows temporarily...And I have made some observations

Upgrading the kernel or Nvidia on Linux means that you must reboot in order for the updates to take effect.
The reboot is not forced - you can continue on without rebooting.
Once the Updater finishes, there is a Pope up that says, "The computer must be restarted in order for the changes to take effect" or something similar.

3 Likes

it can run forever without need to reboot

That was never really a thing. You can update in the background, and you can update and not immediately reboot despite the update being done, but not everything can restart in place.

Most programs (virtually every single one of them) need to be restarted to apply an update. Most of your graphical / login / etc. stack requires that you logout or at least restart your session. Kernel and firmware require reboots (not exactly, but kexec / ksplice / etc. don't make that much sense on server and even less on a desktop system).

What has somewhat increased is the number of systems that you do have to exit a session or logout for, and possibly also how often these get updated. Due to increased firmware updates, driver updates , security patches ECT. (Depending on what you used / use.)

Why should i pretend if i dont have to reboot after updates ? 90% of the linux updates are working after the update…like i said before with a kernel upgrade you have to reboot in order to get that to work or a day later when you use the device again

Maybe you should re-read again :unamused:

Cool maybe you can go teach Linus Torvalds how to make Linux reboot less then.. since hes trying to find a way to make Linux patch without reboots....

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

For a mod your attitude is terrible

Reading this from the outside, where I have no emotional involvement, it is plain to see that Both Points are just as valid.
But since they seem to oppose each other, it is easier to get caught up in opposition.

Linux does not require a Reboot. Whereas Windows OS has been known to reboot on its own, while you are working.
A computer forcing a reboot is quite different from a computer recommending one and asking if you would like to.
Some updates on Zorin OS give the popup that asks. And your button-press choices are:

• Reboot now
  • Reboot later

You can select the later option and keep right on trucking.
The reboot is not forced. As @michel points out - and this is valid.

I have a conky that displays my Nvidia Information. After a Nvidia Driver update, with DKMS, that conky goes nuts. It cannot display most information - or it displays gibberish - Until I Reboot.
Linux continues using cached data to prevent the necessity of an immediate reboot.
This is a great thing as it allows the user to keep on working uninterrupted, even if on Automatic Updates.
The cached data will only last so long, though. Eventually, you are going to have to reboot. And in the case of Nvidia, sooner reboot means sooner your Prime Switch starts working again.
As @seanhinkley was pointing out and this is also just as valid.

3 Likes

Reboots, no reboots, or delayed reboots are not a factor for me. Given that I started my professional life in the infancy of computers, a reboot after any software install, upgrade, or update is just a good practice.

Comparing the virtues of Linux and Windows in regards to required reboots for software enhancements is a bit senseless from my point of view. It is simply a good practice to reboot and reinit the system to a fresh start with the new load. Even when Zorin does not request a reboot I still do one anyway.

4 Likes

Testing Fedora37 and found this design settings like in Zorin. Besides if i support brothers Zorin every next version also Microsoft. I thinking this is fair play for creators. I can sayed my mind are clear not using piracy. People working hard to gived us better version and future.

Not sure why there is such a debate on this topic.

In any OS changing components that are in use will need a reboot. In Linux this means the kernel, imp libs such as libc etc, drivers that can't be dynmaically reloaded etc.

The difference in Windows is this can be more frequent esp for anything done via Windows Update which will by definition touch system components.

Some people might be confused about why I say 'via Windows Update' as thats the only way to update things in Windows. But the fact is WU is designed to update Windows, and Windows Store apps (which very few use, and should use more), and a few MS installed apps. It doesnt really touch user apps installed manually, unlike Linux in which package managers control everything.

Now in Windows if you do use a package manager - e.g. chocolatey, scoop, or MS's own winget, you will find the same behavior as on Linux - almost no reboots updates for apps, some for system.

Sorry for the long winded answer, having used both its not really a big deal. Just reboot. Linux's main strength is unified package management and a single source of apps, although to be honest its not really unified anymore due to various repos/snap/flat/aur and whatnot but thats a separate topic.

The reason people think there's a huge difference is Linux will not force a reboot or nag, the new kernel/libs simply don't get used till you do. Not tht this is good practice, which is why on servers they use special distros that have much less updates.

2 Likes

Soon we will be talking why windows have a blue desktop wallpapers.
Better we will be more like a detective Sherlock Holmes.
Linux and Windows they are two diffrent worlds.
It isn't possible finding a battle with a Dawid and Goliath freelancer Dawid with big Goliath a corporation. On 30 years linux will be always diffrent because people liked a freedom not to be a slave. Besides Linus Torvalds sayed to much focus on linux not good and in life we must doing another things. Linux is like neverending a big puzzle.

1 Like

One in W10 is very terrible nightmare antyvirus defender. In settings one option is sending suspicius files. Then it coupe be everything - wright? Linux maybe sending some data from user to third part companies. Where is the any operating system, what gived you some privacy? Kodachi and Qubes?

They're not, and Linux is in essence a kernel and it is open source and there are thousands of people looking at it.

What is up with all the incoherent nonsensical conspiracy postings? Are we on Zorin Forum or 4Chan or some other Q website? It's beyond tiresome

4 Likes

A good question.

2 Likes

Linux is most certainly not its a kernel.

Some distro's may add functionality to collect telemetry to count installs, some websites may as well (ditrowatch).

In a case like this, the distro is not sending the data to Third Party Companies. It is gathering its own data for analysis and keeping it to itself.

2 Likes

We have to make some observations.

1 Like

Correct, totally different kind of telemetry and data collection and can always be shut off easily

Windows 10 this is something to overfull things what i needed. Well i used him some days. Really i don't seeing some things what could be kidnapped me to a heaven.

(post deleted by author)

Please be aware of strict Zorin Forum stance on software piracy can be viewed here: Zorin Forum Members stance on Piracy

1 Like