I3 Works great on Zorin!

I have been running i3-wm for the past week and I want to report that it is working flawlessly on Zorin 16 Core. I want to use Gnome applications anyways so using Zorin saves me the time of having to install Gedit, Gnome-terminal, Rhythmbox, etc. i3 also leaves the Zorin Desktop untouched so it's convinent to switch between them as needed, an incentive to those who may want to try it out without committing.

I run the regular i3-wm but I have also tested switching to i3-gaps and from i3-gaps to regular i3-wm. i3-gaps is not available in the official repository but following Airblader's instructions makes installation easy:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:regolith-linux/release
sudo apt update
sudo apt install i3-gaps

Switching back to regular i3 is as simple as running sudo apt install i3-wm [make sure to specific i3-wm instead of i3 because apt will not let you do it otherwise]. All my configs were in place in either version after switching. To remove the PPA when switching from i3-gaps to i3-wm, use the following commands with the correct specifics:

ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/<Repo_Filename>.list

I'm glad to continue using my favorite distro even as I make a switch to a tiling window manager!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.