I'd like to have Firefox back instead of Brave

In Zorin OS, Brave became the default browser, but I and many others are not happy with the decision, knowing Brave's background. Calling Brave privacy-friendly is a joke. There have been many scandals, such as affiliate codes, leaking Tor windows, or Facebook tracker whitelisting. Firefox's useless features can be disabled with policies, so there won't be anything superfluous in it. Firefox would be the best choice in this distribution as well.

6 Likes

Brave Browser proponents would make similar arguments about Firefox; and point out that much of the superfluous or unwanted items in Brave Browser can be disabled, too.

I am (and this is well known) most definitely not a proponent of Brave Browser. I have vocalized my many points of distaste against it.

However, it is just the browser that comes preinstalled. The majority of users have a Browser Preference and the first thing most users do upon installing Zorin OS is install their browser of choice. Some do just use the default - and those are the ones who are unlikely to be bothered by the browser choice, or care about it's detractions.

Your feedback still matter, though. And if this thread garners a large following of posters clamoring for Firefox to return as the default browser, the ZorinGroup may take it to heart.

7 Likes

I would take a look at LibreWolf. It's a fork of Firefox.

5 Likes

yeah you can just install firefox from the software store / apt and set it as default in Settings -> Default Applications. brave being preinstalled doesnt lock you in.

on the privacy side i bounced between brave, firefox, and a couple vpn addons for a while. nord / express / mullvad cover the tunnel bit fine for most people. these days i mostly use stealth.online for that layer and keep the browser boring. firefox + a tight policy set (or arkenfox-ish cleanup if you like tinkering) is probably closer to what you want than arguing with the default.

if you want it system-default for new users too thats a different fight with zorin packaging, but for your own machine firefox as default is like a 30 second change.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum!

I wouldn't expect that there is a Change back. But what could be a Compromise: During Installation, You could be ask if You want Brave (Origin), Firefox, none of them or all installed. So, everyone could decide.

3 Likes

It's a shame they don't have the 'Browser Chooser' anymore as they did in earlier versions. PCLOS Debian does not come with a Browser installed - it offers you this post installation:

and I am not using Windows - that is an Aero theme on Plasma:

7 Likes

as long as browser chooser does not install selected browser as Snap or Flatpak by default. i.e. apt or .deb out of the box.

1 Like

It's Debian based so it is APT, and to check you can search for the Browsers in Synaptic Package Manager - Synaptic is present by default, something that also used to be present in earlier Zorin .isos!

Visual proof that all of the Browsers can be installed via Synaptic (except for Brave which is no longer working - need to ask why but not particularly bothered), = APT:

2 Likes

I agree some people like Vanilla ice cream and some like Strawberry .... in the store you buy the one you like .... with a browser you can just change it .... LOL

Been using Brave for years and now Brave Origin .... go to YouTube and do a search for how to set up Brave for security and how to turn off the unwanted items .... or choose Brave Origin where they have already done that for you .... anyway enjoy which ever flavor you like ...

1 Like

Have for years always used Firefox and have it and its forks Floorp and LibreWolf still installed under Zorin OS.

As Brave comes preinstalled with Zorin OS I tried it when I went from Windows to Zorin OS last October. And since this time I use it mostly and I like it, specially the two different search bars: the first for URLs with search engine Startpage, the second for Brave AI (to handle with care).

Useful addons for me to search more easy: TWP (Translate Web Page) and Multi Find (Highlight Multiple Words).

Surprising was the privacy check for tracking and fingerprint check with https://coveryourtracks.eff.org a project of Electronic Frontier Foundation

For Firefox and it's forks Floorp and LibreWolf: Fingerprint unique

For Brave Standard: Fingerprint randomized: Brave varies it not unique.

2 Likes

I prefer to keep Brave as the default browser.
I use Firefox as a secondary browser.

2 Likes

Update to my last post. They have updated the browser installer for Brave to work now. It just needed updating.

1 Like

If you use Brave Origin you will find the fingerprint is Unique .....

Hmm, Brave Origin user here and mine is showing Randomized :thinking:

Checking the Brave settings under Protection there is Fingerprint Blocking activated. This could make the difference the Fingerprint shows randomized.

Waterfox also....

See my post here:

I sent an email to privacytests.org and asked if they would do one for zen but they might not as it is still classed as a beta - you could ask them to include Waterfox in future tests too! :wink:

1 Like

I used Mullvad for about 2 years but when it came time to renew they screwed up my renewal so bad with my bank that my bank contacted me and told me to straighten this mess out or they would have to put a hold on my debit card so I did .... I cancelled my account with Mullvad .....

1 Like

Isn't payment just for the VPN?

1 Like

Having Brave browser come pre-installed on Zorin OS 18.1, is not removing users choice. Just as ordering a new pre-built computer that comes with a keyboard and a mouse, doesn't mean, you are forced to use it. You can easily install Firefox yourself, in the software center in Zorin OS.

Just know, if you use Firefox, it is heavily tracking you, and selling off your data, so that Mozilla can be rich. But as always with Linux, the philosophy standard is, users choice.


3 Likes