If Zorin did not exist which distro are you switching to?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tangent about distro trust issues

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tangent about distro trust issues

Sometimes which linux distributions people using is a software what exist there.
For me is most important also compatibility hardware with distribution what working without problems.
So the question topic is if Zorin brothers jump to bigger a company Canonical or another a "linux company"? Sometimes devs changing a position where are they. That question in topic is interesting to take a backup things or stuff on hard disk if they would like changing a side.

I've been distrohopping a lot, and been on like every distro out there, but at the moment I would probably switch to the new Debian 12 or even Debian testing, or openSUSE Tumbleweed.
Debian is just solid and the new release has very up to date packages. I might even go as far and say the upcoming new Zorin OS should use Debian 12 as a base instead of Ubuntu 22.04, since Kernel version, Gnome Version, etc. are newer.
openSUSE is apart from Debian of one the most solid distros I've tried, and Tumbleweed probably the most stable rolling release. It's great. And package availabilty is awesome. Better than Debian's if you consider OBS and ignore PPAs.
I might run Arch or Arcolinux every now and then, because it's so light and fast, but I keep ditching them, because it some point they just will provide headaches, just a matter of time.
There are Mint and Pop of course, but both cosmic and cinnamon desktop environments give me eye cancer. I am a Gnome person through and through, and basically cannot live without Gnome's overview/search function. If Zorin ever move away from Gnome, I will be force to move away from Zorin and find something else like Debian or openSUSE

3 Likes

What exactly don't you like about Cosmic? I'm surprised since it's very similar to Gnome in many aspects, just with a little touch of their own.

I for one am waiting patiently for System76 to release the new version of Cosmic, I guess it should be ready for the next release of PopOS with Ubuntu 24.04.

1 Like

I HATE HATE HATE Cosmic as well. Probably the worst desktop experience of any major distro.

It can be changed but if you do I would say you probably shouldn’t be on Pop lol

2 Likes

I just reviewed a Live Demo of Debian 12 yesterday, so I find this post very helpful.
And Yes, Debian 12 is surprisingly very new all across the board.

3 Likes

I wondered about this myself. It seem they have changed their goals a touch with the project.

Perhaps. This warrants further study.

They definitely did by making non-free packages being installed by default new normal. But it really is surprising how recent the packages are. It is like Ubuntu 22.10-23.04 new

Even that is not fully complete. Many users will still need to install some non-free items.

Perhaps the very recent packages are more stable than might be expected. Or perhaps Debian wanted a most up to date starting point for 12. After-all, while Debians focus is on Stability, 12 is their Most Recent Release. And every fresh new release cannot boast perfect stability.

1 Like

I am actually more interested in Debian since the packages aren’t absolutely ancient like they typically are. But I couldn’t use my Zorin theme on it :frowning: lol.

Thanks Gnome devs. They claim this will make things easier in the long run. They better not do something like this again because I hate to tell them the default Gnome theme is HIDEOUS (imo at least)

Yes, you can if using a non-Gnome D.E. like XFCE.
https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable/+files/zorin-desktop-themes_2.1.5_all.deb
If using Cinnamon, you can use Zenith:
https://launchpad.net/~aravisian/+archive/ubuntu/gtk-theming/+sourcepub/13199377/+listing-archive-extra

(The full list includes red, orange, purple, grey etc)

Zenith is the ZorinOS Style themes for Cinnamon D.E.

And the Icon Themes:
https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable/+files/zorin-icon-themes_2.9.13_all.deb

The Zorin Themes are not yet fully formatted for GTK4 - Gnome4+

I’m actually not sure what I prefer between Cinnamon and XFCE. That is very close for me.

Probably just going to wait until Zorin 17 though as I have been using a stock Gnome interface lately.

1 Like

I do like the tiling functionality a lot. But that is about it. I don't like how the desktop works otherwise, and I hate the theme, design and the fonts.
I am in fact excited about their new cosmic, I just hope there are options to switch themes easily.

1 Like

Or use a theme like WhiteSur which has built in support for both GTK3 and 4, plus the new mutter and libadwaita. I have it on my Debian 12 Bookworm install with Gnome 43.2 and it looks amazing.

FYI: Nautilus is GTK4 Before I applied the changes it was themed as default. Only took entering 2 extra characters to ./install.sh

./install.sh -l

There's no reason, I can think of, that Zorin OS 17 couldn't use it for their base.

1 Like

Interestingly, Debian 12 is using Gnome 43, but gtk 3.24.
I agree with that... Don't get me wrong...

1 Like

Here are the GTK versions on Bookworm:

So it's not necessarily just GTK 3.24 but more like 3 AND 4 with bits of 2 still present.

I had based my observation on Distrowatch:

I have not looked for independent verification.

33 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tangent about distro trust issues