I'm Baaaaaack ... Did ja Miss Me

Yes I am

Do you want a partition for sharing across os's?

1 Like

As it is right now, you have to hit the f8, f12 or whichever shortcut allows you to choose the boot device to boot into zorin. Is that how you wanted it?

1 Like

Not sure I don't really need one I don't thing as I just stay booted into Zorin and reboot into Win if I need to like the other day when I scred up Zorin and had to reinstall ... it made it handy that I could reach the forum for help ....

No a boot screen comes up asking me if I want to boot into Zorin or Win .... I don't ave to go into bios ...

Then you should be good to go. Everything appears to be fine. If you ever want to reclaim some of the drive space for that just open a topic on it.

1 Like

Interesting so the fact I don't have ex4 makes no difference ???? not sure how it changed to NTFS ...

Ext4 is recommended because it is better for both Journaling and has a larger file size limit, but is of no real consequence that i can see. Linux recognizes and can use (read from and write to) NTFS. it's not unheard of, though you don't see it a lot in Linux.

1 Like

Slip of the mouse

1 Like

You could reinstall if it bothers you... but you won't notice a difference either way.

1 Like

Harvey, I'm still learning and I liked your instruction on partitioning, but I'm missing the partion table that can be used.

In case of Frog using dual boot, if he had chosen to install both OS's on "one" SSD/HDD and using EFI, swap,recovery,home and root the recommendable table would be GPT, because on msdos there are only 4 partitions possible.

Also Frog has a nvme and a hybrid hdd, I think there is a difference in speed that can be exploited.

I do not quite agree on this.

While the statement is accurate and true, the reason Zorin OS can read and write on NTFS is due to the inclusion of ntfs-3g package to patch this support.
NTFS does not support Ownership and Permissions as used in Linux or Symlinks as used in Linux - Both of these are essential.
The ntfs-3g package allows this to proceed, but it makes your entire system and all your data reliant on that one small package and if it corrupts or gets accidentally uninstalled... You can lose a lot of data.
A shared drive in NTFS is fine, because windows can still access that. But Zorin on NTFS - I do not recommend it.

2 Likes

I don't think he's talking about installing Zorin on NTFS, but using a it as a share.

Sorry we just had a power outage ... just now came back on ... here is what I was about to post before it went down ....

Does it look like Zorin is in stalled on its own drive a 1T drive ... if so I should be OK and not need a bigger drive for quite a while ... LOL

Oh OH looks like we have a brown out here ... get back to you when I can .... thanks 337harvey

OK after reading all this I'm completely confused .... so the verdict is to reinstall Zorin again ????? if so what files or folders do I need to save so I don't need to reinstall all my programs and stuff again .... please just answer I'll check on here tomorrow .... thanks

No, i only see a nvme drive using ntfs. Means that drive is used for windows. As you said you have 1 drive for windows and probably another one using linux.

2 Likes

Good point. How many drives do you have, Frog?

2 Likes

Total panic last night ... when I installed my disk 2 and fired up Win to check my drives and partitions I had no desktop or task bar and a message that said to format D drive my 2nd drive for Win... so I just went to bed ... this morning I got up with a renewed outlook and found my partition managing software and low and behold my D drive was now G drive and D drive was in the Zorin drive ... see photos below ... so I changed the D drive to A drive in Zorin and renamed G drive back to D drive ... so all is right with the world so far .... let me list my drives ...

Disk 0 .... a dedicated 1TB internal HD dedicated to Zorin alone ...
Disk 1 ... a 250g internal SSD drive dedicated to Win OS only ...
Disk 2 ... a 1TB external HD dedicated as a 2nd drive for Win ... which I only have plugged in when using Win ... when not in use it stays in a drawer until needed ...

Now remember these photos are AFTER I switched the 0 Drive from D to A and the 2 Drive from G back to D drive ... confusing ... not really it all work before this last re-installation of Zorin Pro ...

Can I install my Zorin boot thumb drive and go into Zorin trial ... go to Gparted and change the NFTS to ex4 ... I don't know why the partitions in the Disk 0 now read EX3 .... or do I just reinstall Zorin Pro ...

Well I'll answer my own question about changing the NFTS back to ex4 ... nope you can't ... how do I know cause I tried. ... OK gonna close this topic and say solved as I am going to reinstall Zorin Pro ...

OOOOPS ... I can't close it someone else will have to ...