Increase font size of top bar

Turned off my fractional scaling (125%) and started individually scaling the apps I use. But the top bar font remains small.
I've tried adjusting font size in Zorin Appearance, the font increases everywhere else but not in the top bar. How to achieve this ?

You might try a custom gtk.css file (you can create one) placed in ~/.config/gtk-3.0

headerbar .title, .titlebar:not(headerbar) .title {
     font-weight: bold;
}

You need to edit the gnome-shell.css stylesheet of your theme. Using ZorinPurple-Dark as an example:

Edit the file:

/usr/share/themes/ZorinPurple-Dark/gnome-shell/gnome-shell.css

Near the top of the file find:

stage { font-size: 10pt; color: #d8c4f1; }

You change the value of font-size and save.

I suggest copying the entire theme folder to ~/.local/share/themes before editing. Then, no sudo is needed to edit, and if you want to revert, you can just delete the copy here. A theme in this folder gets priority over the system folder, so any change you make here will take effect.

I change font-size to 12pt.

2 Likes

Topaz, thanks for correcting my error - I misunderstood and thought the O.P. wanted to increase the Titlebar Font instead of the Panel Font.

Hi Topaz, sorry for being inactive for too long.
But the solution did not work.
Steps I did :-

sudo cp ZorinBlue-Dark/ ~/.local/share/themes/ -r
sudo gedit ~/.local/share/themes/ZorinBlue-Dark/gnome-shel/gnome-shell.css 
# I had to use sudo, without it, it was only a read only file

I changed the font size to 12 (14 too) but to no avail. Did alt-f2 + r as well and logout -login too. No changes at all

The permissions for the theme folders as installed by Zorin are not read only for the owner. Same for the included folders and files. Recheck that. Here's my permissions in /usr/share/themes:

drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Mar  7 05:05 ZorinPurple-Dark
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 Mar  7 05:05 gnome-shell
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  64235 Aug 13  2021 gnome-shell.css

Anyone can read (and copy) these folders and the files without sudo, then write them into the proper location in you home folder, and in that process you become the owner. As owner, you can edit and save without root permissions. To make it easier you can just use the file manager to copy and paste the entire folder without needing any root permissions.

Try it again.

Did it again with file manager but permission was denied. Sudo is most definately needed but my permissions do seem to match yours

tim@grp:/usr/share/themes$ ls -l ZorinBlue-Dark/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar  8 01:12 gnome-shell
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar  8 01:12 gtk-2.0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar  8 01:12 gtk-3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  296 Nov  4  2016 index.theme
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar  8 01:12 xfwm4

But seems like I was editing the wrong css file. Retrying did the trick. Anyways thanks

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.