Install command force unmounting the Zorin installation iso file it needs

I'm beginning to wonder how this thing even runs.

Yes, build-essential is among the first things I get on there on a fresh install...
But GCC should already be installed.

And connecting through Ethernet is not an option?
At this rate, I am going to end up posting a .deb package that installs Zorin OS.

... I had high hopes but low expectations. It was a stretch, but would have been a neat solution.

Let me explain. PC is built into a Lian Li DK-05F desk. In my living room. Router is in office/breakfast room. Need ~170 ft of cable to make Ethernet work.

Awesome setup.

Sadly, at this point, I think connecting to the net is the best bet.

I just did some searching to see if any distros carry that driver out of the box, but came up empty-handed.
Other options may be

• Getting some helpers to carry the desk over...
  • Getting a different Wifi Adapter with known Linux support...
  • Create a bootable Clone of Zorin OS, with all those essentials installed.

The last two options are not bad ones, really.
Creating the bootable clone would require installing, then upgrading, then cloning Zorin on a Working computer, however.

One is out, my doorways are too narrow to get it close. Three is likely out because I don't think my aging HP laptop could handle it, and I haven't even gotten the parts for this PC's gaming beast twin that is also going inside this desk. Got any good suggestions for option 2?

I'm also wondering if I didn't somehow corrupt the installation files when I made the installation media using Rufus. Maybe I could get around most of these problems by rebuilding the install media and reinstalling Zorin. That's a question for tomorrow after work though.

I would try this anyway, though I doubt it will resolve your Wifi. I think you are completely on it on that.
If using Windows, Rufus is ok. I prefer Unetbootin.
It is also available on Windows.
Avoid Balena Etcher, though.

1 Like

For the most part, you have what you need to access the internet. If your phone is new enough and android, you can connect it to wifi and then connect it to the computer by usb. In connection settings, hot spot and tethering, turn on usb tethering (if it's older you may find it in developer options). Download what is necessary. You may want to hold out for .deb packages like aravisian has been sharing with you (for offline installation). You can include that when you are searching for the packages you need.

1 Like

Well good news. I followed 337harvey's advice up here and got internet access through my phone. Went ahead and ran sudo apt --fix-broken-install which downloaded about 150 MB of missing stuff. So now we've got dkms, gcc and make. The bad news: as shown in the picture, it didn't like the .deb installer.

It dislikes the 5.13.0-30 kernel...
Let's go without DKMS:

sudo apt update && sudo aptinstall linux-headers-generic build-essential git

git clone https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git

cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux

make

sudo make install

sudo modprobe rtl8812au

make responded with enough compile errors to make a programmer take up drinking.

1 Like

I've got an ice cold Dr. Pepper.
Can you post a shot of the errors?

1 Like

Yeah. Here goes

It also struggled with the 5.13 modules.
Wonder if rolling you back to 5.8.0 may be the way to go...

What does

sudo make install

yield?

(Paraphrasing) cannot execute file not found

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

git clone https://github.com/morrownr/88x2bu.git

cd 88x2bu

sudo ./install-driver.sh

1 Like

Had to make a little modification to those commands because that first link was only a read me the creator left behind for an update.

Used his note there, did everything again and IT WORKS. You don't know how awesome you and this Nick guy are.

On a side note, where can I make a bug report? Did a little experimenting with some file verification software on my other computer. Installation files weren't corrupt, they're straight up missing make and dkms.

1 Like

This depends on which software you would like to file with...
If one of the drivers on GIT, click issues at the top, then new issue to open a report.

If elsewhere - would need to look for that developers page or contact info.

Also Thanks @337harvey for saving our backsides on the Wireless Hotspot suggestion.

1 Like

I was talking about the Zorin install files but I'll figure it out. Thanks dude

Ah, I see...

You must create a launchpad account in order to file on Launchpad

You can report bugs on the forum directly in Feedback Forum or to @AZorin

You can use the Contact Us form on the Zorin OS Website

1 Like

This is fantastic!! Thanks for patiently working through this. I had all the same errors with 2 different USB wifi adapters (both using different versions of this driver, both with horrible instructions). Mine works great now, too.

P.S. - I also modified the github link to https://github.com/morrownr/88x2bu-20210702

1 Like