Install of Synaptic in Zorin Lite 15.3 fails

Hello,
I decided to try Zorin Lite on an ageing Dell Latitude D620 (32 bit CPU, 4 GB RAM), because it is light on resources, plus it relies on XFCE, which I know rather well. The OS install went smoothly, but then I tried the trusted Synaptic package manager ... as follows :

herman@D620:~$ sudo apt-add-repository universe
[sudo] password for herman:
'universe' distribution component is already enabled for all sources.

herman@D620:~$ sudo apt install synaptic
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package synaptic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'synaptic' has no installation candidate

What exactly does all this mean ?
More importantly, is there a workaround to let me install Synaptic ???
Thanks for your time !

I install synaptic from the software application. That error means the terminal don't find that "name" package. Possible when you want it to install from terminal, the name should not be like that. Some packages are like that. Some pre installed games are like that so.

1 Like

It might be a silly question, but did you update your local repository before attempting the installation?

sudo apt update

sudo apy install synaptic

1 Like

Does 32bit hinder things.

I do not think so.
As far as I know Zorin 15,3 for 32bit CPU is supported till the end of 2023.

Yup. That is how I installed Synaptic on Z15 Core.

Hello, your "silly" idea turns out to be the right one. It didn't cross my mind yesterday because right after the installation, Zorin OS offered me to download some 250 MB worth of packages to bring the ISO image "up to date" (to which I replied "yes"), but that's obviously not the same thing as bringing your apt-cache up to date.
Lesson learned, and thanks.

2 Likes

Sometime it helps to think NOT TOO Hard :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.