Hello, I'm thinking of trying Zorin for my work and daily use PC, and I would like to ask you for guidance on if it is the right move.
I'm a Graphic and Web Designer/Developer, and the software I use is mainly Adobe Software: Photoshop, Illustrator, XD, Dimension. I also like to play video games in my spare time, in addition, I will be studying web development to a full-stack level.
But I'm thinking to move from Adobe because of their heavy and pricy software, I will use Figma to replace Adobe XD, Gimp to replace Photoshop, Inkspace to replace Adobe Illustrator, LibreOffice/OnlyOffice to replace Microsoft, and some other alternatives I'm researching.
I use BIM, CAD, and rendering software as well but couldn't find any alternatives for them yet. I use Archicad as BIM, AutoCAD, and Twinmotion for rendering.
Do you think is the best option to move to Zorin from W10? I'm really bored of Windows and it is getting really slow, but I would like to make the jump.
I have tried Ubuntu before, a long time ago, but as Dual Boot, I really liked it. Now I just found out about this distro and I like it a lot, maybe more than Ubuntu, mainly because of its UI. Now I'm thinking of replacing my complete OS.
As storage, I'm using 2 drives, an SSD and HDD. My W10 OS is running on the SSD, a Kingston SSD SATA A400 M.2 240GB (https://www.kingston.com/es/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive?partnum=sa400m8%2F240g), and all my work, personal, music, and game files are stored in the HDD, a Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Seagate Barracuda, 1 TB (ST1000DM010): características, especificaciones y precios | Geektopia).
What I'm worried about is if my current files would be deleted, the files inside the HDD. I'm fine with formatting the SSD and using it for Zorin, but could you please answer these questions?:
- Will the HDD Disk files be deleted or corrupted?
- Will I be able to see those files and open them using something like Wine (most of my files are .rar .zip .doc .xls .pdf .dwg, Adobe files).
- Will I be able to install other windows specific software using wine? (Archicad, AutoCAD, Lumion)
- Will I be able to install Steam, Battle.net, and stand-alone games?
- Will I be able to install Videoconference and chat apps like Zoom, RingCentral, Telegram, Skype?
- And finally, would it be possible to go back to W10 if I need to?
Can you please help me with this and give me some advice?
Thank you in advance.