Installation crashed

Hello I was trying to install Zorin OS Core on a bootable USB key (I used balena etcher), but when I try to install it, it failed, then it put me on the live version but I retried to install it with the icon on the desktop, but the installer crashed and it gave me this :

We're sorry; the Installer crashed. After you close this window, we'll allow you to file a bug report using the integrated bug reporting tool. This will gather information about your system and your installation process. The detalls will be sent to our bug tracker and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/us/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity*, line 668, in < module> main (oem_config)
File "/us/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 652, In main Installargs[0], query=options.query)
File "/us/lIb/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity*, line 268, in Install
wizard = ul.Wizard (distro)
File "/us/Ilb/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_ul.py", line 408, in init self.save_oem_metapackages_list)
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_ul.py", line 434, in save_oem_metapackages_list
cache = apt.cache.Cachel)
File "/usr/Ilb/python/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 152, in Init self.open(progress)
File "/us/lib/python3/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 214, in open
self._cache = apt_pkg.Cache(progress)
apt_pkg.Error: E:Write error - write (28: No space left on device), E:lO Error saving source cache, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

PLEASE someone help me :slight_smile:

Which option did you select in the installer?
Erase drive?
Install alongside?
"Something else" option?

What size drive were you installing to? Were you installing on an HDD or eMMC or nVME drive?

Erase drive and got a 1Tb HDD

Hmmm...
In the LiveUSB terminal, what is your output for

efibootmgr

zorin@zorin:~$ efibootmgr

BootCurrent: 0001

Timeout: 2 seconds

BootOrder: 0001

Boot0001* UEFI: Lexar USB Flash Drive PMAP

What size is the USB stick you used for the LiveUSB?

At this point, your EFI boot partition has plenty of space and your drive certainly does.
I am left wondering if temporary files being written in the USB caused the lack of space error.

Try the 'something else' method where you create partitions manually, and you could use this partition layout as a guide:

Install to the partition marked '/'.
Install GRUB to sda

1 Like

My usb :32gb

I’m trying to understand :rofl:

What is GRUB ?

Sorry I need to go sleep :sweat_smile: hope you will be there tomorrow, I was trying to do what you said but the installer crash suddenly so… gn

What version of the ISO did you write, 17 or 17.1? Have you checked the ISO with the checksum? Grub is the boot menu/boot environment.

I have the 17.1 versions

GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader which allows you to boot GNU/Linux and Windows if dual booting.

It seems that the installer has encountered an Out-Of-Space error, not sure if that's from the USB Stick you're using or the drive you're installing to. But it seems more likely that it's from your USB Stick given you got a whole 1TB drive to install on

The default installation options are fine 99% of the time. I appreciate others in here trying to help by doing manual partitioning but that isn't guaranteed to solve the issue.

@Gatoux Did you maybe select the wrong SSD/HDD during the installation?

GRUB is a bootloader, it loads before your operating system, like Windows or ZorinOS, and allows you to select which one to load and change boot options.

Can I get your discord or something like that I get back from school at 5:30 pm UTC

To make the manual Partition a little bit easier, makte 2 Entries:

/boot/EFI/ =>that must be a fat32 formatted EFI-Partition with 512mb.

And the second Entry is a simple / and that formatted in ext4 for the Rest of Your Drive.

You can contact me here on the forum or anywhere listed on my website