Installed Zorin OS 15.2 on ASUS PB550M-A and Settings > Devices > Displays only allows 1024X768 (4:3) and no dual Monitor settings

Hi,
I’ve been using Zorin 15.2 on a HP h8-1000z since replacing Zorin 12. Today I finished my first computer build and installed Zorin 15.2 on both of my new M.2 NVMe SSDrives. While doing the initial configuration installing the first option did not work so I used the (NVIDEA graphics) option while installing my first drive. After seeing the problems in Setting>Devices>Display with no choice for Dual Monitor and only the low resolution 1024X768 (4:3) option, I chose the second option, (safe graphics),when I went to install Zorin 15.2 on the second drive. Same result though, when I went to Settings>Devices>Display no Dual Monitor Options and only 1025X768(4:3). I’m using a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 graphics card with AMD Rizen 5 on Prime B550M-A motherboard. I would love to just get back the options I had available with the HP h8-1000z, if not an enhanced capacity to utilize this new setup.

I think Artyom should step in at this point unless others have experience of SSD’s and high end Nvidia cards. Hope you get a response soon applescruff. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @applescruff! Welcome to the new forum!

Please let us know if you have installed the Nvidia proprietary graphics drivers after installing Zorin OS.
If you haven’t installed the drivers yet, you can do so by following this guide:

Hi,
I followed the above instructions before and after I downloaded the NVIDEA drivers. I used the Wine program to install the software from the disk that came with the video card installed on the ASUS PB550M-A. The choices remain limited to low resolution settings mentioned above. Any ideas on command line entries that would configure the resolution and dual monitor settings? And help would be appreciated.

It is necessary to install the Linux version of the NVIDIA drivers only. Installing the Windows version of the drivers using Wine in Zorin OS won’t work and may cause system stability issues.

Please make sure that you have tried installing the latest version 450 of the NVIDIA drivers using the above instructions for the best compatibility. We would also recommend you to open the “NVIDIA X Server Settings” app (after installing the drivers and rebooting your computer) to make sure that the correct display settings have been set.

1 Like

I went back into software update>settings>additional drivers and clicked on the Linux version 450. Then I opened Settings>Devices>Displays and the full range of Resolution options are available and it defaulted to 1600X900 (16:9). It does now also shows Samsung Electric Company 20" as the monitor in use with the desktop. Still no dual monitor option available. Any thing else I can do to remedy this last issue?

Where do I find the NVIDIA X Server Settings app?

After installing the Linux version of the official NVIDIA graphics drivers, you can open the Zorin menu > System Tools > NVIDIA X Server Settings.

1 Like

Thanks, I found NVIDIA X Server Settings. It sees the Samsung SA300/SA350 1600X900. I clicked on Detect Displays button but do not see any response. Is it possible to configure Dual Monitor Displays using NVIDIA X Server Settings? I’ve been reading the HELP info but I don’t see much I understand.

I just realized what is different with my new computer set up that probably is affecting this issue of dual monitor display detection. I have the 20" Samsung cabled to the HDMI port on the graphic card I/O panel. The 32" Samsung is cabled to the HDVI on the motherboard I/O panel.

I know you aren’t using AMD Graphics but wondered if this thread could shed some light on the issue?:

https://community.amd.com/thread/224581

The Hp Pavilion h8-1000z being replaced by the ASUS PB550M-A had both a HDMI and HDVI connector on the tower connected to the MoBo. The monitors a Samsung 20" and 32" were both recognized and connect as a dual monitor mirrored configuration. Maybe I’'ll need to work with some other software. I did not anticipate these challenges, when I finally took the plunge to do a build of my own.

I have two different sized screens with different resolutions working together without any effort. At one time, it was three, with one plugged into the VGA port, one in the HDMI port, until the VGA port Monitor died.

Had you removed the Graphics drivers you installed through WINE?

Yes I have the Linux 450 NVIDEA drivers only now. Tomorrow’s another day. Likely, after sleeping on it, the obvious will become clear.

Hello, I want to thank everyone who helped contribute to solving the issues I was having with the dual video display settings last week. I still have a great deal to learn. I did resolve the dual display issue by installing a HDMI to Display Port adapter cable so both 20’’ and 32" Samsung Monitors plug into the video card panel. Powering on with this configuration the Zorin settings>device>display recognized both monitors and provided the same options as I had on the HP Pavilion being re-purposed.

2 Likes