Installer not picking up main drive

Go with default for Primary or Logical.
Mount point you can set to just /

1 Like

Now I have 200GB in a new FAT32 partition and the drive still doesn't show up in "alongside Windows".

If I chose to install Zorin on that partition, would I then choose my NVMe drive for boot loader installation? Does that ensure, that I will be able to dual boot?

Yes, the same drive Windows is on.

Not on the windows partition, of course.

I'm sorry... My poor brain may be stumbling here.
Is the drive you are trying to install Zorin Onto not showing up? Or the partition?

No worries, my brain is crushed and you are helping getting the pieces back together. :smiley:

So, the drive is not showing up when choosing "install alongside Windows"

But the drive and all of the partitions are showing up nicely if I choose "Something else".

I am just not sure to where exactly to put the boot loader. I could either choose directly the drive /dev/nvme0n1 or the new fat32 partition /dev/nvme0n1p6

1 Like

Bootloader goes to the EFI partition that is FAT32.
If it is showing in Something Else, then I guess your options are to use "Something else" or to instead use "Something else."
-scratches head-

1 Like

Can you just check, in your BIOS, that you are using UEFI and that Legacy ROM/Boot is turned off.

Then when you reboot and press F12 (or whatever it is for your BIOS) to the boot selection, that you see Zorin as a boot option?

If you don't see the Zorin option then it is the same problem I encountered and fixed by doing this:

2 Likes

Alright, so just to clarify before I commit...

This is what I would choose:

The EFI partition is called "Windows Boot Manager". That is just the name though, I suppose. No problem installing the boot loader on the same partition?

1 Like

Thank you @Rory !

I am not sure, that this post is related to my problem, though. It's not that I can't boot Zorin from the USB. That works without any problem. I can run it live and access the partitioning options and everything. It is just during the installation of Zorin that after the step "install alongside Windows" it won't recognize the NVMe drive.

Others have posted having this same trouble. Rory did, as well:

As I recall, many were using nVME, too.

I have nvme, and never had issues with Linux

Oh sorry! Now I understand it has to do with detecting the Windows 10 installation and not just the hard drive? Alright, then I will give it one more chance following all the steps. Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

Reading Rory's post, it looks like he covered both issues in one post.

1 Like

Yes, I could easily install Zorin on the NVMe, but I am having issues with the dual boot install. So it's kind of a Windows issue :grin:

Yes, I had lot of issues with dual boot..

And fix is only one..SWITCH TO LINUX :slight_smile:

1 Like

timothys_monster, this was also a similar case for me, though my drive is SSD. The thing is, I could install Zorin from the Balena etcher flashed USB but only if I enabled Legacy ROM option in the BIOS, even though it still boots using UEFI mode it allows Legacy ROM to work. When the Zorin install routine ran it simply refused to recognise my EFI drive and as such didn't recognise my Win10 installation.

The trouble was the Balena etcher flashed USB will boot both UEFI and Legacy, so it was misleading me.

After talking with Aravisian I tried Rufus etcher and couldn't even boot no matter whether trying UEFI/Legacy ROM disabled or UEFI/Legacy ROM enabled.

It was then only when the Zorin chaps came up with a fix that Aravisian potsed that I realised that grubx64.efi was not present on the Rufus flashed USB. However, it was present on the Balena flashed USB

So then when I turned off Legacy ROM in the BIOS and used the fix, because the Zorin boot option was not automatically recognised and had to be added in to the BIOS boot option, lo and behold the Zorin boot option appeared at boot time, the install ran and more importantly it did recognise my efi partition and did recognise the Win 10 partition so that I could select 'Install Alongside Windows' and dual boot my system.

EDIT: I should add that the key things for me were this:

1. That UEFI is used, with Legacy ROM disabled (as well as Secure Boot)
  2. That I was using an iso flashed USB that contained grubx64.efi
  3. That once I created a Zorin named boot option in my BIOS which specified grubx64.efi, from the USB flashed drive, as the file to use.....everything went well and I ended up with a dual boot system.

Thanks everyone for your continuous support! (Which I haven't got from the Zorin team, although I paid for the support.)

Nothing can make the drive show up in the "install alongside Windows" option. I even tried another USB drive. Legacy on or off, choosing the grub file manually or starting the drive directly...

And I couldn't partition the drive manually. When I chose the free FAT32 partition it wouldn't be accepted (no root or something was the error)

I will now install Zorin on the SSD (SATA) that the installer shows me.

This usually happens when the mount point was not set. Did you set Mount Point to /
at the prompt? It is easy to miss.

1 Like

Oh... I just left it untouched. But I guess I should have specified /
That might have been the problem... Now the installer is busy trying to partition my other drive :laughing:

It was. :slight_smile:

(cough)

Ima smack you upside the head.

1 Like

This is why I didn't want to partition manually, hahaha! I knew I wouldn't be able to... Thanks for all your patience :slight_smile: