Zorin os 16 core don't boot with USB drive

I'm having the same issue with my old custom PC:
ASRock Z97 anniversary edition
Intel i5 4460
AMD radeon R9 290
I can and have installed Zorin 16 core in legacy mode but my windows is installed in UEFI so I currently just have to use the boot menu to select an OS as grub cant accodidate legacy and UEFI at the same time I believe.
I will be reinstalling in UEFI mode when this problem is fixed as the response from the ZorinGroup has not worked for me.

1 Like

That didn't work for me. Any other possibilities?

Instead of trying different things that may or may not work, I'm just going to wait on word the issue has been resolved. After trying different methods and such, the risk of me doing real damage as opposed to doing just a simple, normal install has thaught/given me patience...lol
Aravisians post said they were working on it and testing it out. I'm sure the updated ISO will be out very soon.

1 Like

It worked after installing Windows 10 from Dell again and then generating the bootable by Ruffus on the same computer

Just downloaded an new ISO, still has the same issue....

I'm not happy.. :weary:

Part of the trouble is that the ZorinGroup must also wait on the Ubuntu Devs on this one...

1 Like

JeffK969,

This is what worked for me on a Dell Inspiron laptop.

Flash the Zorin iso file on USB using Balena Etcher, not Rufus. Rufus didn't work for me, I couldn't find the necessary grubx64.efi file but could find it when using Balena to flash the USB.

In Windows (if you're using it):

Disable Fast Startup
Disable Hibernate (I did this through the registry using regedit: see this 3 Ways to Enable or Disable Hibernation on Windows 10 - TechCult

In Dell Bios:
Make sure the Boot Sequence is set to UEFI and Legacy ROM option is off/disabled.
Disable Secure Boot
POST Behaviour - set to 'Thorough'

Follow these steps from the Zorin guys:

1. Plug in the Zorin OS Installation USB Drive
  2. Go the computer's BIOS settings screen
  3. Navigate to the "Boot" or "Security" section and disable the "Secure Boot" option
  4. Navigate to General > Boot Sequence > Add Boot Option
  5. Select the "Boot Option Name" and insert "Zorin"
  6. Click on "..." in "File Name", select the Zorin OS Installation USB Drive and EFI / Boot / grubx64.efi
  7. Click OK to add the new boot option
  8. With the arrow up/down you can set this boot option as the first one
  9. Press the indicated key to save the BIOS settings and restart
  10. Boot the Zorin OS Installation USB Drive and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation normally
  11. After installing Zorin OS, you can choose to re-enable Secure Boot from the BIOS settings screen if you wish.

Step 8 isn't necessary as you can move up/down, using up/down arrow keys, the list of bootable options when you reboot and F12 for boot options.

When you next boot and F12 you should be able to see Zorin as a boot option. It should now boot and load the Zorin install and it will also find your Windows installation if you have one and you then have the option to install alongside Windows.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time Rory, I already looked at that. Unfortunately my BIOS doesn't have the Add Boot Option.

I'm just going to sadly have to wait it out until the fix comes in... I prefer to just do it normally. Who knows how that will effect things down the road.

I have the same problem on a custom PC. I hope Zorin will tell here when there is a new iso.

1 Like

Bramdal, New ISO is out, and a few have confirmed it works, including myself.

I downloaded 16 core 45 minutes ago and had the same error. For Pro there may be a new iso, for Core maybe not yet. Or the fix does not work for me.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that...

No announcement yet on the actual fix- some users just may be having more luck.

hey any updates?

1 Like

Yes, you should be able to download and install as normal from the page:

Zorin OS has migrated away from SourceForge and is using independent servers.

If you still have trouble with installation, please start a thread so we can help.

Hello.
This rEFInd creating bootable usb pendrive with linux distribution?

This solution destroy my Pendrive 32GB after Flash, I can't get it back to normal drive. How can i format my USB drive? USB drive is not showing on my PC. Please help. and Don't try this solution.

Balena-Etcher is notorious for killing Flash Drives.
You may try using a partitioning tool to completely wipe and reformat the USB drive.

Thanks, Eventually I recover it.

1 Like

But somewhere was a websides testing distros. From there you cannot using Popsicle from linux?
https://distrotest.net/index.php