Installing acpi_call kernel module for Thinkpad battery recalibration - (TLP)

Hey guys, I have was wondering if anyone could help me on how to install the acpi_call kernel module to recalibrate my Thinkpad battery? I installed TLP and for after running tlp-stat -b I have been recommended to install this kernel.

I do not recommend this action. This can cause data loss or irreversible damage.

The best way to calibrate a notebook battery is to use the notebook (in whatever manner that you want) until the battery actually dies and then shuts down.
Plug the notebook in and do not use it again until the battery is fully charged (for example, overnight while you are sleeping).
Repeat this procedure a couple of times - This will calibrate the battery drainage sensor.
This procedure is the same across Mac, Linux or Windows. Some software picks up on the algorithm faster than others. I usually recommend three rounds of this, to be safe.

1 Like

Great, thanks! I also recently posted a question about vpn troubles I've been having. Maybe you can take a look if you have any advice!

https://forum.zorin.com/t/installed-vpns-from-software-store-wont-run/11306

1 Like

Sorry for the newbie questions, any idea how to remove an app after I installed it? I recently installed gdebi from a recommendation from an old Zorin forum. A link for a command list would help if possible! Thanks!

Gdebi is a great app and I also have that installed.
Removing an application can be done in many different ways:

1. Open Software from the Zorin App Menu, click on the Installed button at the very top. Then find the application in the list and select it, then select Remove.

2. Open Terminal and run sudo apt remove followed by the Package name. Remember that in terminal, a space in a package name must be populated with a dash. For example; if you want to remove gnome software: sudo apt remove gnome-software. I do not recommend removing Gnome Software, this was just an easy example.

3. Synaptic package manager. sudo apt install synaptic - Launch Synpatic and click the Search button at the top. Enter the name of the package you want to remove. Hit the search button on the popup window. A list will appear including the Installed packages. Select the installed package or packages by clicking on them then selecting Remove completely. Click the apply button on the top toolbar to finalize the action.

4. And finally... Gdebi can be used... IF you still have the .deb package you installed from, open it with Gdebi and select the Remove button.

3 Likes

@Aravisian recently contributed this great tutorial for the basic commands in Linux that would make your life easy:

I quote the relevant section:

Command to remove a package with APT (Applies to apt-get and aptitude the same way):

sudo apt remove package-name

Command to remove a package with APT and remove any configuration files (Applies to apt-get and aptitude the same way):

sudo apt remove --purge package-name
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.