Installing GRUB 2 Package

Decided to install ZORIN OS 15.3 from a bootable disc attached to LINUX Format magazine #279 onto a HP Envy 15 laptop with 1TB HDD. It already has W10, so I created a new 500GB partition so I could dual boot via GRUB menu. I formatted it to ext4 (or something like that; can't recall exactly).
Installation progressed satisfactorily all the way to receiving a message: "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot." When I closed this I received another message: "We're sorry; the installer crashed. After you close this window, we'll allow you to file a bug report using the integrated bug reporting tool. This will gather information about your system and your installation process. The details will be sent to our bug tracker and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible." When I closed this message, I received another: "The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again."
After I closed that last message, I was presented with a desktop with just icons: Linux, and Install ZORIN OS 15.3. The reason for so few icons is due to me choosing to not load 3rd party graphics because I figured it would be an easier install process and I could do that later anyway. There was no bug reporting tool, and I couldn't find any evidence of a running desktop session that I could use for analysis.
So here I sit. I have had two attempts to do this and I end up in the same place. I don't know what to do. I am a newby willing to learn but not very knowledgeable at this stage. I would appreciate any help.

Given the specs and the Win10, I would think that this would have an EFI partition already on the drive (Usually, that is what that error means.)

Because of this, I wonder if this blog posting may be more helpful than the usual leads of trying to create an EFI partition:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.