Installing Z16 in a VM

Yes I don't seem to having too much glee with this VM business.
I think I should delete all the programs I have installed and start again. Too much space has been allocated to each.

What is the best way fro me me to delete the programs and all their files, both gui and terminal?

I will then start again. :slight_smile:

sudo apt remove
or use software center

Thank you. Did Boxes and Gnome Boxes from Software Center but VB wasn't showing so used the command.. But got this although the program is installed and the icon is even on my Taskbar

~$ sudo apt remove VirtualBox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package VirtualBox
david@david-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-MT-PC:~$

depending on the version you have it would be
sudo apt remove virtualbox
or
sudo apt remove virtualbox-7.0

to be sure you could run
sudo apt remove virtualbox*

Thank you, yes the last one did it.

I now just need to get rid of the space or partition that gnome boxes has even though it has been deleted, or as far as I know it has been deleted.
The map here shows the..
Outer red is gnome-boxes 32.3 GB then next in is share 32.3GB then next in is .local 32.GB.

Inside blue is Virtual Box 31.2GB

So unless I'm wrong there is around 120GB of drive taken up with programs I no longer have.

What is the better way to delete them please?

Check

flatpak list

snap list

If you find a Flatpak or Snap package for gnome boxes, you can use

flatpak uninstall gnome-boxes

or

snap remove gnome-boxes

This method for Flatpak will not remove the massive dependencies that installing a flatpak yields.
Whenever you install a flatpak, you accept that it will carry a lot of bloat with it.

for any packages for Gnome-Boxes

Run

sudo apt remove --purge gnome-boxes

if you installed it from APT.

Run

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove

Reboot then check disk usage.

Ran them all but results were 'not installed' so I'm not sure what those disk allocations are. It does ask on install what space we need to allocate so maybe tit has created partitions ?

Maybe I misunderstood?
I thought you were saying that gnome-boxes was taking up a lot of disk space.

What could be happening here is even if you uninstall the applications from the system, the Vm's you created will still be there, in your Home directory look for the folders and manually remove them

mine are located in
Home/sean/VirtualBox VMs
Home/sean/.local/share/gnome-boxes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.