Installing Zorin OS 16 Lite on Legacy BIOS

I want to install Zorin OS 16 Lite on my external hard drive (MBR system). However when the installation was finished and I rebooted the PC with bootable drive removed, It takes me to grub rescue mode and doesn't let me boot to OS. Then I realized the installation doesn't work the same way as you do in UEFI Mode. My CPU is 64bit with 6gb ram and Legacy BIOS Mode. I want to know how you install the OS with Legacy Mode. I also want the Bootloader file to be in the external hard drive itself, so that I do not get the grub bootloader when I want to use Windows in my internal SSD. I want the external hdd to be a Plug-n-Play thing.

The external hard drive will be plug n play, as this is a standard for most OSs. As for the legacy issue. Either reinstall windows, I'm assuming a dual boot setup, or look at the mbr2gpt tool from M$. if it's a clean install to an empty drive, change the drive to gpt and create your partitions according to [HOW TO] Partition & Install Zorin 16

My PC has legacy BIOS and not UEFI, but the HOW TO tutorial explains everything with respect to UEFI. What do I do?

If it's a 32 bit only system, Zorin 15 is the latest version you can install. Otherwise, I already gave you ideas of how to convert from MBR to GPT.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.