Installing Zorin OS with both UEFI and Legacy support

Zorin will install on Legacy. Zorin will install on UEFI. But what about both? I googled around but I gave up and asked here instead (I googled for a generic linux installation)

I need both Legacy and UEFI for a specific reason too complicated for this post (and will be very off topic)

It won't install with both supported at the same time just by the nature of how UEFI works and MBR works. You could try installing one or the other initially and manually creating the other boot files I would start with an MBR and then create a UFEI partition and manually copy those files over and add them into grub I have not really seen that done it may or may not work. But if you use you EFI boot it still can boot legacy OS's but you can't or I haven't seen having a singular OS have both boot options simultaneously for the same install.

You mean that for just Zorin OS, riiiiight ?

or

Cuz ya know, these people got it done...

@Conflue , both of those links point toward creating a Bootable USB Image that can boot in either Legacy or UEFI mode. This is different from having the Installed OS able to be in UEFI / Legacy.

2 Likes

That's a USB boot into a live image that's not a full local desktop install. So no if you install Ubuntu through its installer you will not be able to do both UEFI and legacy boot same thing with Windows same thing with Zorin if you want to manually try and set it up you can do it but it's not something that supported by Ubuntu or Windows or Zorin it supported by USB boot devices because the nature of live booting and hot swapping. For both those what happens is the Linux image is read only and mounts in memory so the disk is not written to.

But I suppose if you want to write your install to your hdd as a live usb and And then create a giant persistent file You could try that.

Hmm. Untrue, I beg to differ. I managed to do it by following the instructions here.

This answer on the Ask Ubuntu thread, the same one you said, and I quote

both of those links point toward creating a Bootable USB Image that can boot in either Legacy or UEFI mode. This is different from having the Installed OS able to be in UEFI / Legacy.

I managed to have a full installation of Ubuntu for both BIOS and UEFI.

here is how I did it:

In the .txt file here scroll down to where it reads:

1. Previous system, that is unstable (can be destroyed by updates)

then follow the instructions. I did and now I have Zorin OS install that can be used in both BIOS machines and UEFI machines.

1 Like

I initially was about to reply this with "I stand corrected" until I re-read everything.

This process in this link is for creating a Bootable LiveUSB.

However, this link:

https://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/uefi-n-bios/UEFI-n-BIOS-installed-system.txt

does indeed cover how to create partitions for both EFI and MBR booting and to "grub-repair" both of them for a bare metal install. That is not the second link you posted. You only posted this in your solution post.

Now, to quote @seanhinkley :

Where he said much the same thing.

So, lastly:

Neither @seanhinkley nor myself said anything untrue that needs to be addressed.

it's not a big deal and I am glad you found a solution. In future, when you post; Please try to avoid assuming the motives of the person responding.
There can be more effective means of getting your point across than trying to create an emotional response or by using sarcasm. And most importantly; We are here to help. Two of us trying were more distracted by your accusations than by staying on topic and clearly following along.