Intel centrino wireless / ethernet problem

Hi there,
Trying to get Zorin OS Core up and running on a moderately old laptop that has an Intel centrino wireless 2230 card.

Initially the WiFi kept asking me for a password but after a bit of digging I disabled the 802.11n protocol.

Now I have the challenge that I can either have the WiFi connected or the ethernet cable plugged in but not both. If I start with an ethernet connection and then remove the cable Zorin won't connect to the WiFi network. This also occurs the other way around. If I start with WiFi enable and working and then plug in the ethernet cable, the cable connection doesn't work.

It might have something to do with my attempts at disabling the 802.11n protocol but before that I had no working WiFi.

Here's the command I used:
sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf <<< "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1"

Any assistance in troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Some of the older wifi cards used the same chipset for each type of connection. This means that while the ethernet is connected, that is how the OS uses it, which locks the card as an ethernet card. It is not hot swappable. You will either have to leave it as Wifi or Ethernet....You could try restarting the network service, which may free the card for the other type of connection and make it available again. It is a single-band card.

You could try to install the 2230 tarball from Linux* Support for Intel® Wireless Adapters. I believe that card has reached EOL for support.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.