Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz Driver Error

I wondered that, but can find no information - at least not yet - on which lower kernels lack the regression. Really... you could fly by the seat of your pants on it...
But I fear that the support for it was only introduced in the 5.10 kernel and that is why I can find no information on it prior to that.

@Aravisian I see what you mean, hmm...

1 Like

Had you tried the tutorial I link above?

I have not, let me take a look and see what happens

1 Like

So, 5.12.x, 5.11.17, etc should all still be being built with 20.04 LTS toolchain, but they're not, they're being built with 21.04. This should be raised with the Ubuntu team.

It is a bug not a feature.

This page of TuxInvaders has instructions for compiling the kernel from source:

https://hub.docker.com/r/tuxinvader/focal-mainline-builder

Those instructions should get 5.12 installed on your system.

1 Like

@Aravisian I've got to run for a few hours, I'll follow these instructions when I get back and let you know the results.
One question: compiling from source, shouldn't I make a change to the source before recompiling? Didn't the original compilation have a bug? Or am I missing something?

No, because it is the compiler that has the libc6 2.33 dependency.

@Aravisian Ahhh okay I follow now hahaha

@Aravisian So I got through the first two steps until I realized this was for docker (I should have figured that out earlier lol). I don't think we want to run this in a container, that's if you want to test it in a container.

Without docker, is there a way to modify those commands to upgrade the kernel?

1 Like

The container is just to isolate and build the kernel without the system dependencies.
But, try this instead:

git clone git://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kernel-test/ubuntu/+source/linux/+git/mainline-crack cod/mainline

cd cod/mainline

git checkout cod/mainline/v5.12.1

fakeroot debian/rules clean

dpkg-buildpackage -uc -ui -aamd64 -b -d

I partially tested the above to be sure- I did not fully install (for obvious reasons)... But I did note that the cloning process from git can take some time.

@Aravisian Sorry fro the delays! Have had a busy few days! First 3 commands worked fine, 4th and 5th had problems:
fakeroot debian/rules clean
/bin/bash: /home/chris/cod/mainline/debian.master/abi/previous/amd64/../modules.ignore: No such file or directory
for i in debian.master/control.stub.in; do
cat $i;
echo "";
done | sed -e 's/PKGVER/5.12.1/g'
-e 's/ABINUM/051201/g'
-e 's/SRCPKGNAME/linux/g'
-e 's/=HUMAN=/64 bit x86/g'
-e 's/=SERIES=/hirsute/g'
> debian.master/control.stub;
flavours="debian.master/control.d/vars.generic debian.master/control.d/vars.generic-64k debian.master/control.d/vars.generic-lpae debian.master/control.d/vars.lowlatency";
for i in $flavours; do
/bin/bash -e debian/scripts/control-create $i "true" |
sed -e 's/PKGVER/5.12.1/g'
-e 's/ABINUM/051201/g'
-e 's/SRCPKGNAME/linux/g'
-e 's/=HUMAN=/64 bit x86/g'
-e 's/=SERIES=/hirsute/g'
>> debian.master/control.stub;
done
echo "# placebo control.stub for kernel-wedge flow change" >debian/control.stub
cp debian.master/control.stub debian/control
# start new paragraph in debian/control
echo >> debian/control
# append udeb packages
export KW_DEFCONFIG_DIR=debian.master/d-i &&
export KW_CONFIG_DIR=debian.master/d-i &&
LANG=C kernel-wedge gen-control 5.12.1-051201 |
grep-dctrl -FArchitecture amd64
>>/home/chris/cod/mainline/debian/control
/bin/bash: line 2: kernel-wedge: command not found
make: *** [debian/rules:236: debian/control] Error 1

dpkg-buildpackage -uc -ui -aamd64 -b -d
dpkg-buildpackage: error: cannot open file debian/changelog: No such file or directory

Those commands are supposed to assemble the kernel into an installable package.

This part bothers me... You are using Focal, not Hirsute. But I wonder if that is because the build is relying on Hirsute, since it uses libc6 2.33

But the commands are direct from the links that I posted above.

@Aravisian Do you think I'd just be better off exchanging this laptop for a different one? I've noticed a few other bugs, like the 165hz refresh rate not remaining constant after the display has turned off and then back on (it will say 165 still, but you can tell it's not).
I'm not as experienced with Linux as you are, but do you think the issues I described earlier are because this system actually requires those proprietary Nvidia drivers? I have a feeling this system just will not work without them, and they are a little buggy (there is always a graphical error when I boot up, same graphical error on Manjaro too). I know that is likely unrelated to our current problem, but this just doesn't seem like a good laptop for Linux.
Am I crazy for thinking that this laptop won't work without the proprietary Nvidia drivers (knowing the video out is tied directly to the GPU and not the motherboard), and that this isn't a good laptop for Linux?

You are not crazy at all.

It is apparent that I will promote Linux. However, I prefer to maintain all honesty while doing so. Such feedback is important not just for users, but developers too.

Nvidia has long had beef with Linux in regards to Open Source. Due to this, they would (I kid you not) make minor alterations to the drivers to make them not work on Linux within updates. You can easily find Linus Torvalds' addresses to Nvidia on the web, complete with Graphical imagery LOL.
As an unintended consequence of dealing with Windows and due to some changes with how Windows approaches things, this has been improving and will probably continue to improve. A bit of an irony that Windows unintentionally helped Linux... But Windows is not upset about it, either. It helps Windows to do so.
But improving is not the same as Fixed. It is not, yet.

The vast majority of Linux users use Nvidia Just fine without any problems, either with the Proprietary Nvidia drivers or without.
But, like the Autobahn, when there is a crash, it usually is pretty bad.

There are other pieces of hardware where this is apparent. Linux developers must backtrace, then build forward to catch up - to match the drivers that the Manufacturers make for Windows.
It can be a catch-22 because as forum members, we want to help, support and encourage, but occasionally, the hardware just will not cooperate. Sometimes, there is a setting somewhere that will help that we do not kn ow about, causing us to fail you. Like some knob that needs to be turned in the EFI settings for example.
And sometimes - we can all only wait until the Software matches - and in the case of the Newer Machines, that can be a bit of a hitch.

There are manufacturers, like Starlabs and System 76, that make PC's and Notebooks exclusively for Linux. Starlabs even offers Zorin OS preinstalled.

I am a novice on Linux - I hope to help others, but have much to learn, myself. Being active on this forum, I see a lot of repeat Issues and Nvidia is notoriously one of them.

@Aravisian I'm a big linux fan myself too. I was hoping this would be the first time I could have a pure Linux machine as my daily (laptop) driver. But you wouldn't believe the struggles I've had with this thing. I installed Manjaro 8 different times, my custom partitioning during the setup was causing the computer to not see any bootable media...still can't explain why, I had a fat32 partition 512mb with boot flag and bios-grub flag mounted at /boot/efi, a 16GB swap partition properly configured, and a 600GB ext4 partition mounted at / with the root flag. I even had the installer fail on me a few times doing the "Erase disk" option. I could only sometimes get into Kubuntu's installer, and the times I did get into it, the "Try" and the "Install" buttons would both cause the computer to restart and not go back into the bootable media. Literally nothing has been working on this system.

Unfortunately I have to get something from Best Buy. Would something like the Asus G14 be alright? I know it doesn't have the video out hooked straight into the GPU. Or do you have any other recommendations?

Linux is definitely getting better day by day. I've used Linux before daily on a different laptop on a dual boot, and it was very stable with no weird problems. I don't do any gaming, so I guess a GPU really isn't needed, but I thought it would be nice to have.

It's very nice that you're willing to spend time on the forums to help people like me.

I also avoid Nvidia since I do not do much gaming. Really... My specs are unimpressive; an i3 CPU...
But Zorin on this machine is faster, better and more stable than Win10 on much newer machines.
I did make it 16 gigs of RAM, though.

As far as recommending computers... I have learned the hard way not to. :smiley:
I can say that Gigabyte and MSI motherboards are very finicky about Linux.

Hahaha! I will get back to you with what I decide, but for now, don't worry about my driver/OS problems haha.

I know me well enough to know I will keep toying with it, since it is helping me to learn more- about how the kernel is compiled and various other dangerous information that I shall someday use to take over the world.

@Aravisian Hahahaha I hear you with that one :stuck_out_tongue: A lot of the stuff we've already done, I'd like to learn what exactly the purpose was and how it relates to the OS. Like the kernel headers, what's the deal with that?

However, with this laptop, I guarantee it will be bug after bug. I tried a few other OSes earlier, and couldn't even boot to the installer with them either (vanilla Ubuntu and Elementary OS).

The kernel is the primary Driver for any OS. Windows, Mac, Android- they all operate by following a kernel.

The pieces of hardware in a computer all have Basic Code- you could call it an operating system - of their own. This programming is what makes that hardware work. If you think of a pocket calculator- it has basic algorithms programmed in that cause it to give specific output to specific commands.
The hardware in your computer is like that.
Bigger hardware, like a GPU, has a much more complex operating system, though. The GPU in AMD, NVIDIA and others contains a processor, just as your motherboard does. It also contains its own RAM.
The Operating System that you interface with, be It Zorin or Windows OR Mac... does not tell the Nvidia GPU what to do. It only communicates with it. The GPU processes on its own.
That communication is part of the Driver Software that you need to use to interact with it.

The Kernel is a large collection of drivers, covering monitors, wifi cards, printers... It governs interaction with the Motherboard, the USB ports, the monitors.

This portion is Linux-headers that deals with x-window, graphics and motherboard.

You also have the Linux-image- this is the Executable portion of the Kernel, with Init.
Linux-Modules - which deals with the Modules used for Sound, Wifi and wired connections and other peripherals that are set to "on" or "off."