Intel Wireless Centrino N-1000 N not recognized

Intel Wireless Centrino N-1000 N

Hi, I have an old laptop that I want to use as a multimedia server, for which I have decided to install Zorin Pro Lite 16, however, during the installation it did recognize the wireless network card but when I finished and restarted it no longer recognizes the wireless network card.
The laptop is a Lenovo iDeaPad Y470.

Greetings and thank you for any help you can give me.

If you had drivers in the installer, the installer should hold drivers for your device.

Plug your installer in while logged in and open 'Software Updater', at the top - select 'Additional Drivers' and will populate drivers if available off your installer disk. (I'm on Core, don't know if this is the same direction for the Additional Drivers)

This was the way I installed older (and newer) BCM43XX devices. Drivers are in the 'pool' directory in the root of your installer - just fyi, you won't need to go poking around in there for any reason.. Most restricted drivers aren't going to be installed auto-magically, they have to be manually installed..

If that doesn't populate drivers, temporarily use a USB tether from your phone, or an Ethernet for inet. Then, open the 'Additional Drivers' again and will load some drivers to install.. if available.

I also suggest installing these two packages: zorin-os-restricted-addons and zorin-os-restricted-extras- you'll get codecs and other things that will help that media server :wink: I also install lsusb-dev so that when I plug in a random USB device, it will most likely be in support and not have to dig around for drivers haha.. just a suggestion!

If your installer doesn't have the drivers - you'll have to download them and install manually. I'll take a look for some downloads and all if the installer way doesn't work.

The "Try Zorin OS" option defaults to the generic kernel contained drivers.
If those were working, then modesetting the wifi to the kernel may also work.

1 Like

What is mode setting? Not come across that before.

You have, except that the way I phrased that most likely threw you for a loop.

Using the nomodeset parameter is an example of Mode Setting.

The term "mode" is not related to "module" and dates back a few years or so a bit before I even made the transition to GnuLinux, actually. "Mode" was the Resolution and Display for your Graphics.
At this point; I must clarify that this is what it referred to back then (now it is more of a generic term).

When you boot, the mode was set by BIOS. Then it was set by something else, I forget... Then it was set by the actual drivers for that GPU. With the advent of Kernel Mode Setting; it did away with all of that and the mode is set right away by the kernel.

This also became a more generic term and is no longer delegated to only Graphics.
Instead, it now refers to Drivers that will initialize beginning at boot and these can be separated into the Kernel Supplied Drivers and the Proprietary Drivers. Nvidia GPU is pretty dominant and so, most commonly, this still seems to be used to sort out an Nvidia problem. But, it can affect other drivers as well.
If the Proprietary drivers are not working properly, then using nomodeset can cause the hardware in question to init off of the kernel drivers.

Hello, and thanks for getting back to me.
I was wrong, I tried to reboot the laptop with the ZorinOS USB to see if it extracted the driver but the truth is that since: Try Zorin OS, it doesn't allow me to activate the wireless either so I don't support it from the installation process.

I also checked from the BIOS and the option to enable wireless is active.

Any other suggestions on how to get the drivers?

Greetings and thank you very much.

networking - Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 - Wifi connection is very slow - how do I configure or fix it? - Ask Ubuntu - Someone talks about a bug and something about a different version to fix, not sure if that will help.

Also, before anything else, open a terminal and type rfkill list and post the output, it may be blocked..

In that case, can you open a terminal and try:

sudo modprobe -rfv iwlwifi

sudo modprobe -v iwlwifi

1 Like

Thanks for elucidating. I appreciate it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.