Internet doesn't work

So.
I reinstalled yesterday, it was all fine. Today, internet stopped working after using Proton VPN. And I mean literally after using it. Uninstalling it didn't help. Also now my keyboard stopped being normal...

i (and a lot of people) also had the same issue after using proton wifi and it took me hours to fix it.
if u need to use a vpn for ur browser, use a browser extension as vpn
don't use proton vpn, that app is a mess IMO (considering hundreds of people who used it on linux, faced some kind of wifi issues)

reinstall the network manager with sudo apt-get reinstall network-manager

now additionally try these steps

Programs that interfere with network traffic tend to be the cause of such issues. Also, uninstalling programs typically leave remnants behind in the form of configuration files, and sometimes may not do a good job cleaning up or restoring the system to it's original state. I'd suggest going through Proton's website and find instructions to resolve the issue as it's unlikely this is happening just to you.

As a temporary workaround you could try to edit the default dns in your system to point to a public DNS server. I've used this trick before and I don't know if it will work for you but it's worth at try.

In a terminal:

1. Make a back of the file before you modify it:

sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.bak

2. Check for entries starting with nameserver. There should be one like this:

nameserver 127.0.0.53

If there is none, add it yourself and test if your internet is now working. If it works, great, otherwise follow the next steps.

3. If there is such an entry, or you added it yourself and you still don't have internet access, update the entry to look as follows:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
    #nameserver 127.0.0.53

You can use nano to edit files from within the terminal: nano /etc/resolv.conf. Press Ctrl+X to exit (you will be prompted to confirm if you made changes to the file).

Note: this is a temporary work around. In fact, even if it doesn't work, it's likely that changes made to this file get overwritten next time you reboot. So make sure you follow Proton's instructions on how to properly uninstall their software, and how you could install it again.

Is it wrong that I now want to purchase ProtonVPN just to potentially experience this? :thinking:

I didn't purchase it.
It's free in the Software App

I need a VPN for when I'm at school so I can use my laptop with no restrictions.

Is it only proton that does this?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.