Internet keeps randomly cutting off

I don't know what's going on. If I'm on the computer for a bit of time, the internet just stops working? It'll say there's a connection --there's a '?' inside the icon-- but the browser and terminal say otherwise.

It's not just one location, either. It'll happen at work, and it'll happen when I'm at home. I can leave it alone or be on it 24/7, but it just stops working. Logging out doesn't work, disconnecting/reconnecting is also a no-go; updates/upgrades don't fix it, locking the computer isn't doing it, modifying the idle/suspension option is no, etc. The only thing that works is restarting the computer, and even that's caused problems (sometimes, I have to manually shut the PC down because it's either taking way too long to restart or it's just not restarting, period.)

I'm wondering if it's an app or package installed that's causing the problem, but I wouldn't know where to even start. :sweat:

1 Like

Is it a notebook computer on battery? The Powersaver may be inhibiting wifi.

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

You should see:

[connection]
wifi.powersave = 3

Change it to

[connection]
wifi.powersave = 2

ctrl+x to exit, then y to say yes to save, then enter to save as current configuration.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting an answer so soon! Yeah, I set up the powersaver deal some time ago; I have an HP ENVY x360 with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon Graphics. Not sure if you needed to know that?

It was a 3 in the config. I changed it to 2 and updated/upgraded my PC, so here's to hoping that does it! I really appreciate your prompt response.

6 Likes

OK - I think there's still a problem.

So, I changed the configurations, and it seemed to have worked. However, I'm now dealing with the internet cutting off again. Might be something else messing with it?

1 Like

If this is your machine HP Envy X360 WiFi losing WiFi and poor connection. - HP Support Community - 8171472
then it seems the problem may be hardware related.
About 1/4th of the way down that page there’s a suggestion about some “standalone wireless button” and pressing that button for 10 seconds. You could try that.

1 Like

Darn. Mine's with Ryzen 5, but still. I'll try the solution offered in the thread; maybe, that'll be the one to fix it. I don't know what else I could do if it doesn't work/last a while. Fingers crossed!

Marked solution. 120

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.