Internet stopped working after updates

Hi, zabadabadoo, I have this same problem, and in my case it isn't the kernel (because I've been stuck on kernel 5.11.0-40 due to a bug). I am using Zorin 16 Lite 64-bit. Yesterday (23 May) there was a software update, and today I'm unable to connect to the internet. Doesn't appear to be a hardware or internet problem, as I'm able to connect to the internet on the same computer using a different OS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can please post the output of

sudo lshw -c network

Hi, Aravisian. Thanks for your help. I ran the command -- could you please tell me what to look for? It's very common, I realize, to post these outputs on message boards, but I feel slightly uncomfortable about letting the world look under the hood of my computer. It's nothing personal -- I trust you and I know that you're trying to help. But if you could let me know what to look for, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

By the way, I looked at my history of updates from May 22nd, and the only one that looks as though it is explicitly internet-related is dnsmasq-base:amd64 2.80-1.1ubuntu1.4 2.80-1.1ubuntu1.5.

1 Like

I understand completely. You can trust an individuals intentions, but not all observers in a public setting.
I will note that there really isn't anything there that can be used maliciously - but I say this for some assurance of peace of mind. If you have any doubts - protect your own interests first. Even if you lack trust in my own intentions; I am not offended if you lack trust in me, since I have not personally earned your trust: I am merely another stranger on the internet. It is wise to reserve trust first, always.

What you are looking for in the above:

• Does it show full fields for Ethernet and for Wireless
  • Does either or both say "network Unclaimed"
  • The driver versions
  • The vendor info to ID the device requirements
  • The configuration in order to see that it is recognizing the kernel, the firmware and if anything is marked as "no"
1 Like

Thanks, Aravisian, for understanding and explaining. I do trust you -- you're a moderator on this forum and you've helped me more than once. In fact, if there's some way in the forum for me to send the output directly to you, I'd do that -- I just don't want to post it in a public space on the internet. I can also speak to the areas you kindly identified:

Does it show full fields for Ethernet and for Wireless

It does. I'm working with ethernet in particular.

Does either or both say "network Unclaimed"

No.

The driver versions

Same as the kernel: driverversion=5.11.0-40-generic

The configuration in order to see that it is recognizing the kernel, the firmware and if anything is marked as "no"

Yes to kernel and firmware. No fields marked "no." Actually, there are two separate entries for ethernet: everything is greenlit for the first one, but for the second, shorter entry, it states: "driver=dummy"

What about the Network drivers? For example:
Realtek
RTL8188EU

I am not sure on this one... But I sent you a PM in which you can reply with strictly This information that I can see firsthand...

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.