Irfanview does not work

Hallo

I have just installed the Irfanview. Unfortunately, though it can be run, it cannot open images. Is it possible to fix it somehow?

As I understand it, isn't Irfanview a Windows Only application?
I used to always ensure I had it when I was a Windows user.

Yes, it is. But in PCLinuxOS it works fine though. And in that distribution it can be selected to be installed from the Synaptic repository application.

https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=148198.0

I recommend using Nomacs, its my favorite photo viewer on Linux. This is because it can not only display standard photo's, but it can view GIF files as well. Nomacs has some nice config options with it, and works in complete integration with the shell.

StarTreker

yoda
Your Tech Support Guru

1 Like

I recommend XnViewMP. Is in my opinion an IrfanView clone.

2 Likes

Everything depends on a purpose. Viewing only is just a basic thing. But Irfanview offers much more sophisticated features and is incomparably quick. Nevertheless, why Irfanview works fine in PCLinuxOS and refuses to do so in Zorin OS?

Not a clue, I am not a Zorin developer, so not sure what is in the code that doesn't allow it to work, where as it works in PCLINUXOS, which BTW, I've never used PCLINUXOS, so I have no experience with it.

1 Like

I have checked and re-checked, Irfanview is available only as a Windows app.
It may have worked differently in another Distro if that distro uses a different version of Wine.

Zorin App Support (Wine) is based on Wine 5.

I also used Irfanview as a favorite application when I was on Windows. However, there are Good Solid apps on Linux that perform the same or even better. Shotwell or Pix come to mind.

1 Like

Maybe try to install it through wine ? Install the latest wine version from the wine ppa ?

1 Like

I installed it through WINE a few days ago but ran into a problem with not being able to view the app correctly ... so I put that project on hold for awhile till I get other things straightened out ... I like IrfanView because it allows you to batch change photos ... I used to do 20-30 photos at a time ...

I'll be following this thread with a very keen interest ... thanks to the OP for posting this ....

2 Likes

Yes the batch mode is unbeatable good.

1 Like

Recently I installed Zorin OS 16 on one more time on another hard disc in the same computer as before. This time though, I had installed WINE first and then Irfanview 4.58. It turned out that now it works

2 Likes

Glad to hear that you find the solution yourself :slight_smile:
I selected your answer as a solution :ballot_box_with_check:

If it just for the Batch Process, Gimp can do this.

But you will have to add the process to the filters by installing the extra plugins. Using the command via the terminal:

sudo apt-get install gimp-plugin-registry

Then in Gimp go to Filters - Batch - Batch Process. You will get this extra plugin.

1 Like

This is a tool I use a lot.

Yeah, I used it too while adjusting images for creating gifs.

Thought I should mention it because if its just for the batch process, it saves a lot of hassling, trying to install Wine and/or Irfanview.

2 Likes

I know nothing about this particular app but I'd rather not to deal with Wine. If I need to run any Windows exclusive apps, I fire up my virtual Windows.

Yes, but doing a batch process while running it in virtual Windows, will demand more/lot of cpu usage, I guess.

As I do not know anything about this app, I have no idea if that is the case.

When I built my main machine I had a virtualization in mind and used a server grade m/b with a dual thread 6 core CPU and 64 GB RAM.
I run a rather large database in virtual Windows but never saw the high CPU usage (YMMV).