Is pip no longer packaged with the OS?

Fresh install Zorin 16.1
Neither pip3 nor pip is installed with the OS any more ??
I know I can install it with sudo apt install python3-pip but that pip will install packages for the current user only (the directory is not on path either) and the while I was trying to add it to path, I made a few mistakes and broke some things and had to reinstall the OS.

My main question here is WHY ? Why was one of the most used command removed from the installation ?

I am not aware that it ever came with Zorin OS... I had to install it on both 12.4 and on 15.

Oh ? Now you've put me in doubt whether my Zorin 16 came with pip or did I install it manually. Nevermind. Can you just help me configure pip so that it'll install packages system wide and not user-specific ?

Hey I installed python3-pip and after that I did this

$ pip3 install pandas
Collecting pandas
  Downloading pandas-1.4.2-cp38-cp38-manylinux_2_17_x86_64.manylinux2014_x86_64.whl (11.7 MB)
     |████████████████████████████████| 11.7 MB 3.1 MB/s 
Collecting pytz>=2020.1
  Downloading pytz-2022.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (503 kB)
     |████████████████████████████████| 503 kB 1.1 MB/s 
Collecting python-dateutil>=2.8.1
  Downloading python_dateutil-2.8.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl (247 kB)
     |████████████████████████████████| 247 kB 508 kB/s 
Collecting numpy>=1.18.5; platform_machine != "aarch64" and platform_machine != "arm64" and python_version < "3.10"
  Downloading numpy-1.22.3-cp38-cp38-manylinux_2_17_x86_64.manylinux2014_x86_64.whl (16.8 MB)
     |████████████████████████████████| 16.8 MB 1.1 MB/s 
Requirement already satisfied: six>=1.5 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from python-dateutil>=2.8.1->pandas) (1.14.0)
Installing collected packages: pytz, python-dateutil, numpy, pandas

WARNING: The scripts f2py, f2py3 and f2py3.8 are installed in '/home/triputi/.local/bin' which is not on PATH.
  Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location.

BUT my /.profile already says

if [ -d "$HOME/.local/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
fi

I don't know why this isn't being read. I don't have ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login that would prevent my ~/.profile from being read.

Instead of placing it in your home profile, you could try placing it in your ~.baschrc:

export PATH=/home/triputi/.local/bin/:$PATH

Be sure to update the file after saving it by running in terminal:

source ~/.bashrc

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.