Is Zorin OS going to be okay?

I've been seeing multiple posts online about how many people are having issues with the system upgrader (going from 16 to 17). Is Zorin okay? I'm a new user and out of good faith (and wanting to support an underdog with a good story), bought the Pro version soon after after trying the Core version using a live USB (and reading that the Zorin Group had "finally" implemented an upgrade path for the OS, which honestly did surprise me, because by now, all OSes should be able to update without a reinstall; I mean, it is the year 2024 after all). Now I'm seeing post after post online about failed and botched upgrades. I hope Zorin Group will survive this and ensure that the next OS update (for 17.1 or whatever) goes smoothly.

Your post was not requesting technical help, so have moved it to "Chat about Zorin" section from "General Help". Zab

Oops! Sorry. Am on my phone. Didn't realize.

1 Like

I think Zorin will be OK. This is new feature and there will be a learning curve for users and developers. It is very important follow the instructions the upgrade application provides and avoid software from unofficial sources.

In Ubuntu world it has been a long standing user suggestion to wait until the point release before upgrading. I always prefer a clean installation , but having a win 11 dual boot on different drives made upgrading a welcome option. My upgrade was successful. People don't often post on a help forum if things are going well.

2 Likes

A few have taken the time to do so though. There are several threads noting that the upgrader went without a hitch.

It is true that there has been an uptick in activity in regards to upgrader troubles. More than there was for Zorin OS 15 to Zorin OS 16.
In many of them, I notice that there is an issue with a regional server, an issue with independent packages or repositories, and issues with disk space.
The most telling issue was one of the servers being overwhelmed by traffic. This suggests that a likely culprit was that 16 to 17 saw quite a large rush of people heading for the upgrader. It was highly anticipated.

3 Likes

My update was from 16.3 Core to 17 Core. It was without a hitch as well, even with the added complication that there was an unexpected power cut and I had to suspend the system. I then resumed when the power was back hours later, and within minutes my upgrade was completed.
I should add that all the downloading had been done, and it was now installing the upgrades.
So I was very impressed that even though I suspended the system while in the midst of the upgrade process, I've not had any issues and it went smoothly.

2 Likes

I think I have about three times. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone who's commented so far. It's just that I've seen an uptick of posts about problematic Zorin installs not just on the Zorin forums themselves, but elsewhere online (e.g., Reddit). So of course I'm a bit alarmed. I chose this distro as my regular, everyday daily driver OS (and paid for a premium when I didn't have to), and would like for it to continue for many more releases. Best wishes.

1 Like

The Thing is: The Updater is now in the Wilderness and must show how it runs in the real World. Beta Tests surely are a Help but how it works in common You see first ... how can I say that ... You see first when it is in the natural Environment, haha!

We will see how it will stands in the Future.

2 Likes

There is so much that beta cannot catch because the test groups tend to be small and they also tend toward experienced users. Those who are willing to Beta tests tend to be those that keep a more bare system or are well rehearsed in recovery.

But once a project is introduced to the broad audience, it must now contend with new users, relaxed users, and users with many diverse applications installed. This can include personal configurations and customizations, non-Zorin desktop environments, work or school related python and software...

4 Likes

It is a brand new feature that has been out for at most 6 months I think. So, I am sure they working out the kinks and ironing out some of the wrinkles to make it work on all the possibilities. (Upgrade from 15 Core to 16 Core or 16 Pro or 16 Pro to 17 Core etc.)

As they learn where the trouble spots are, they will improve. Future versions of Zorin will be vastly improved as a result. For us in the early stages of using the upgrade tool, there may be some rough spots. Since Linux is a community, it is incumbent on us to work with the Zorin team to help them find the areas needing improvement by providing meaningful feedback and not just complaints.

4 Likes

That is a good point of view.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.