Is ZorinOS Ultimate worth it?

If you don't have a brand new top of the line computer from 2021, Its my opinion that you should wait until Zorin OS16 releases. OS16 will release soon, and it just makes sense to wait if you can.

I too agree that supporting the dev's should always be a good option. If you like what the dev's are doing, and you like the software their producing, why not support them? I myself bought two different distributions of Zorin OS, 9, and 12, when I bought Ultimate editions.

Plus the benefit I got from that was, already loaded with apps and neat games, and the special access to direct support I got from the Zorin dev's by doing so. But yes, you don't have to buy if you don't want to. Like Mr. Harvey said, there is Core and Lite.

And yes, Steam can be installed on all Linux distributions. It can be found in the software center, just log into your Steam account once installed and launched. Also, you don't need to have Wine directly installed on the system for the games to run.

Steam now uses Steam play, which is an integration with the Proton compatibility system. All you have to do is right click on your games, go to properties, then click on the compatibility category. Then tell the games to force use Proton.

Now, youll see a list of Proton versions, which version of Proton works right with the game, greatly depends on the game. So try each one in the list until you find the Proton version that works correctly with the game, launches it, and runs it without crashing.

I can provide you help further down the road, when you are ready to do all this. I am a gamer, I use Linux, so I been around the block a few times in this area.

4 Likes

If you are going to manage 120 desktops then you'd want to get involved in Zorin Grid.

Also, buying Ultimate give you instalation support from Zorin.

2 Likes

(short answer) to be honest, it isn't really worthy.
(long answer) it is if you like things out of the box (not having to play around customizing things and installing things) and want to support the zorin team. thing are better integrated with the system compared if you would install them afterwards yourself.

other than that, you can make every linux distro look like mac. I personally bought it and don't regret it, it isn't limited to one user/pc so you can install it everywhere, anytime, as many times you want to. I also support the team with a minimum monthly contribution. I have to find out how the upgrade process is, if I need to re-purchase the ultimate version or not

an upgrade to 16 will be possible without the need of fresh install. that is if you are willing to wait till the devs optimize that feature

2 Likes

Personally i bought into Zorin Ultimate, and after using Linux mint Cinnamon, I feel disappointed. Mint is way more up to date. I will continue to struggle with Zorin and hope for further upgrades in the future. I have both Zorin and Mint on the same pc.

Do you have Mint 20 Ulyssa installed? Mint 20 is built off of Ubuntu 20.04. Zorin 15.3 is built off of Ubuntu 18.04, whereas Zorin 16 is built off of Ubuntu 20.04.

2 Likes

For me that is the beauty of zorin, linux it is very customizable, I can install upto-date software if I needed to...

You didn't have to buy Ultimate to show appreciation. There is a donate button on the About page, if you're interested.

4 Likes

I never knew this, either...

1 Like

I did know either but there is a donate button on the about page.

2 Likes

Nor me. Must be new. I stumbled upon it yesterday whilst looking for something else.

Well (I haven't looked yet) if there is a donation link, it's something that has long been requested and hopefully will generate some additional revenue to help the Brothers out.

3 Likes

I love what is being done with Zorin, and I love the Zorin ultimate layouts... However I do not have much (if any) money for it, plus I would love to keep a standard installation like Zorin OS core, could there be a Zorin OS plus edition with the premium layouts but core installation? I find the option most enticing as this is the best of both options

@sergioad Ultimate uses core (gnome DE), ultimate lite uses lite (XFCE DE)... the ultimate version of these only offer prepackaged software and themes. The point in ultimate is to support the development team. You're wish to get all that for free is an unreasonable expectation. Those that have made the purchase are happy with their choice beyond the personalization and included apps, they are proud to support the development. You can customize your distro, the same as the themes included in ultimate without paying for it, but you will have to research and install them seperate on your own.

Personally i find your request inconsiderate and rude... ignorant to the work necessary to provide a great OS, and expecting all that for free.

3 Likes

I'm going to get it when it comes for Z16. :slight_smile:

Yes. Get Ultimate and do a minimum install.

1 Like

I believe that what Sergio is asking for is an edition that... falls between Core and Ultimate. That has elements of both, but with a smaller price tag.

My own opinion is that it would be too much to ask of the Zorin OS developers. Quite bluntly, I am amazed at what the Zorin OS developers accomplish being a team of Two People as they are.
Zorin Ultimate exists not as an exclusive OS, but as a means of supporting Development of the project. We all have bills and with a Free OS, they can get hard to cover without support.
Choosing Zorin OS Ultimate is a way that users can provide that support.

First, you can donate any amount you choose to the Zorin group by going here:

and scrolling down to Funding. In this way, you can choose to help support development without being beholden to the One Zorin OS Ultimate choice.
Donating in this manner will not get you a copy of Zorin OS Ultimate. Nor will it make the Zorin Group beholden to you (or any user who donates) in any way.

I do not know about the Premium Layouts as a "Plus Package". It is one of the primary unique features of Zorin OS Ultimate that gives some encouragement to support development. If many users could "donate" any amount, then request a custom package, this adds a lot of work to the Zorin Group, with less incentive to support the Project through Zorin OS Ultimate.
And you can see the slippery slope that that is...

1 Like

I see, thank you very much for the explanation, I am sorry if my question sounded entitled or something like that but I really would love to get the 10 X layout (among others) without going fully going ultimate, if it is impossible in the moment I comprehend the team and I will not ask any further, I love what the team has done and I think sooner than later I will donate a little bit

1 Like

It is not impossible; Zorin OS does not include exclusive content. It is not proprietary, so any feature that is in Zorin OS Ultimate that is something you want; you need only to use the Open Source available to set it up for yourself.
With Zorin Ultimate, all a person needs to do is open Zorin Appearance and set their preferences. Without it, you may need to go a different way, install something and use Gnome-tweaks tweak tool.
I am not sure, since I do not use those layouts, what exactly it is that you are describing... But later when I have some free time, I will open an instance of Gnome Desktop on Zorin and explore that a bit. I am using Zorin 16 Beta, not Ultimate.

2 Likes

Zorin OS Ultimate is the only version with a Mac OS layout built-in. You could probably customize Core to look and feel like Mac OS, but it would be more complicated.