Is ZorinOS Ultimate worth it?

Hello.

I am here to ask if I should buy ZorinOS Ultimate.

I am currently using Pop!_OS on Both my Mac and Macbook Air.

My requirements for a good operating system is:

• Good Security
  • Fast and Smooth
  • Easy but advanced access
  • Easy transfer using apt pkmg
  • Lightweight (I don't care for any bloatware or games preinstalled)
  • A Mac-type environment
  • A Good Working environment
  • NVIDIA and Intel Support
  • Broadcom WiFi Support

Convince me, why should I pay the money to switch to Zorin Ultimate? It makes a convincing case but I am not sure if its worth it.

1 Like

You do get a lot of what you don’t want or need based on your requirements (it comes with a lot of games - remember it is aimed as an all user OS, and that includes kids (and grownup ones too who like gaming!). Basically it puts a lot of apps together that will work without you trying to install separately and having to learn new ways of app install. I do feel they should give the opportunity to support the project through Patreon or some other channel. Core is free as is Lite - only the ultimate versions do you have to pay, but you only get the mac environment on Ultimate. I can’t answer your ‘apt pkmg’ query but as I understand it Pop_OS! is based on Ubuntu so it should work. Don’t know what you mean by Easy but advanced access. Fast and Smooth will depend on a lot of things like your processor and RAM. Lite will be the faster of the too as it uses xfce desktop. Core (which is what I am using) uses Gnome DE. You can always Mac it by downloading Mac themes which has been covered nicely by Aravisian in another thread.

3 Likes

This is a good a point. I suspect that many who choose Zorin Ultimate are returning users. Those who have had a good experience with Zorin are more likely to want to support the development.
If you were to choose Zorin Ultimate, I think Zorin Ultimate Lite is probably going to get your attention as you say that you are disinterested in games and frivolous packages.
One of the things that Zorin Ultimate does is Exposure. In coming with a large number of a carefully selected variety of packages, it allows you to experience and experiment with apps your normally might not have - which is a benefit.

If you have the idea that Zorin Ultimate runs better or has features that are "Locked' in Zorin Lite or Zorin Core - it does not. Zorin Ultimate contains more packages, that are fine tuned and expertly assembled so that you do not have to deal with install hassles like incompatibility or dependency issues. But it does not contain locked features that you can only get by paying money. Nor does it sport better performance than Core or Lite.
Zorin Ultimate is about Supporting Development to fund further development.

So this being the case... Why rely on anyones mere words? My own experiences with Zorin have been Top Notch. On each and every computer I installed Zorin on, I saw better performance than other distros and less hassle. But anecdotal evidence is not evidence.
If you like Gnome Desktop, you can install Zorin Core. If you like XFCE, you can try out Zorin Lite. And on either, you can install a different desktop environment if you wish. I am running Cinnamon desktop, instead, on my build of Zorin.

If in using Zorin OS, you are then convinced to support the team by choosing Ultimate, I think it will mean a lot more to you than trying it out cold based on someone elses words.

3 Likes

Forgot about other DE’s Aravisian, good point! Currently I have 4 alternative DE’s I can log into on Core that I have installed in addition to Gnome - Cinnamon, Plasma (KDE), LXQt and Enlightenment (E17).

Yes, in several attempts, I will admit I never got any other distro to accept alternate D.E.'s like Zorin does.

2 Likes

Install Core 15.3 and if you like it make a donation, that way both sides win, you and the developer.

3 Likes

I have used Zorin since 15.0 after much researching of other systems, Zorin outdid most picks and tests for a .deb system. Zorin by far was my most liked.

You have many choices to pick from when it comes to the layouts of the desktop windows. My mother who is 70 years old never used Linux till I showed her how Linux worked.

I was a firm believer of Kubuntu for personal pc’s but found much of the time it was crashing or breaking, I then I tried out linux mint and lubuntu for home users but needed a business touch also, Lubuntu out did Linux Mint by far with the speed and responsive loading.

So with more research and over 50 Linux distros tested, when it came to a Debian system, Zorin got my money for the ultimate version it was also my second Linux OS that I bought for my own birthday gift Redhat was my first.

I even offered to work with Zorin as a distributor and provide my customers an operating system replacement for Windows 10, because many had complaints on it lagging facebook games and many bad updates. My mother now has Zorin 15.2 on an SSD 512GB of her Dell Laptop which I also set up, she uses it for her Facebook games.

So if you really have to question Zorin from another systems like POP OS you must have concerns with POP OS Linux, or you either don’t like what it’s offering.

Zorin ultimate comes packed already with most needed items like, office and a browser and other programs, that you would have to spend time downloading. Don’t get me wrong, I used in the 90’s RedHat Linux but love Suse linux over redhat. to me its more the business and hosting center software, both systems are loaded the same and have a lot of similarities based on its same languages, like Debian has with the many builds from it. remember this, Zorin is built off Ubuntu true, but at the end of all the work you do on your POP OS and Zorin, it’s not ubuntu POP OS or Zorin is built from, its Debian.

Rock on sorry for the long reply, kinda my story behind my experience with Linux and why I choose Zorin.

No matter your fancy, most Linux systems has good security and really don’t need a virus scanner. It takes the person running the Linux of their choice, to know how to manage that security with the built-in firewall or security.

you just have to do a live cd run give zorin a try. for my older Nvidia stuff, Zorin worked best. Windows 10 never picked up my Nvidia cards. My Zorin can do the dual audio process for music production, and voice in opensimulator.org systems such as SecondLife.com
What windows10 can do, I can also do on Zorin.

4 Likes

Hello Kevin,
I can answer your question this way. I purchased Zorin. Have used it without any issues for a few years now. When the next version comes out that we will have to pay for, I’m going to get that one too. I use Lite btw, I personally like that better.

You have to remember, you’re asking a bunch of people who use, enjoy, love Zorin if you think it’s worth $40. Heck Yeah it’s worth it. lol

5 Likes

I purchased Ultimate edition recently not cause of the extra goodies (which I need to play with) but as a thank you to the developers for such a clean and solid OS. Previous a Mint user.

10 Likes

Amen.

1 Like

I think it is worth supporting the developers of Zorin OS. I choose to pay for zorin os ultimate even though I have never used installation support or even used half the bundled software. I pay because I like the product being offered and I want to support Zorin Os. I understand not everyone can afford to provide financial support for a product like Zorin OS. I pay so that others who cannot afford to pay for the Zorin OS can still use other editions.
We need to support open source software (assuming we can afford to) and innovation financially. People can’t work for free and I have seen many projects in my 20+ years of using Linux and open source die off because the developers had to choose between feeding themselves or offering free software. These are my reason to choose zorin OS ultimate. I am only speaking for myself.

4 Likes

If you are unsure then install one of the free versions to try out and then if you are happy then support the project by buying the ultimate edition. That’s what I did.

I used the education edition as it has Veyon to monitor class room PCs. And decided to buy it to support the distribution.

5 Likes

What I can say about zorin Lite is that (Stable and lightweight) I don’t care how hard it is to use, we have internet we have Google, solutions are everywhere. I’m used in Gnome DE, I didn’t expect that zorin Lite will be using xfce. I just installed it because Google told me that it is lightweight and based in Ubuntu 18.04, I don’t know how to use it at first, because it is completely different from gnome! I like tinkering on my system so I get used to it in 3 days, in addition I’m not familiar with Deb pkmgr because I’m a RPM based guy, you’re using PopOS which is based in Ubuntu, so it will be pretty easy for you to adapt the OS

I am using the Zorin OS lite and I support zorin by reading and provide feedback on this forum when I’m free!

4 Likes

Hi… welcome. You’ve heard a lot of positive support already. If you don’t mind, i have one for you as well.

I was interested in development, but i had an older acer aspire and didn’t want a lot of junk bogging my system down. Google, Bing and start page all pointed me to Zorin. I’m new to Linux but have been working in windows almost 32 years… it’s been a change, but an eye opening one. After deciding on Zorin, i thought i made a bad choice. I searched and searched, tried several other distros, and found that Zorin really was the lightest for my system. I purchased ultimate immediately. Who heard of an OS for 40? I’m used to paying an arm and leg. I have no complaints about the OS itself and it’s handled everything i could think to throw at it. It handles being fixed pretty well also. I have yet to really tank my system.

Since then I’ve gotten brand new hardware, and had problems. That’s ok, just like with windows you can’t expect something older than your hardware to support it. Here is where i noticed the difference. The people who have chosen this platform stand by it, help you troubleshoot… something Microsoft won’t do. If they try it isn’t well at all. I haven’t asked for the support i paid for from the devs because this Community has given everything i need with encouragement to continue breaking and repairing, but most of all to share both.

This is where it really matters, what most distros lack. So, not only did i pay, do i plan on doing it again, i also jump in here and attempt to show my appreciation, for these fine people, that are telling you that this OS is worth it, by contributing as much as i am able.

These aren’t sales people, they are actual users who back Zorin 100%. I think that’s worth consideration.

9 Likes

I have paid for it. I say yes simply due to supporting the developers of a great project.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Hi - Newby here. I have a laptop in the closet on some distro of Zorin, and I like it. Last time I had it on it was so behind on updates that there wasn't enough drive space to handle them. My need for that laptop ended and it's been in the closet for a couple years.

Fast forward. I've got a newer laptop that I'm thinking of loading a new distro on. Thinking about Ultimate. Now for my questions.

1. I'm guessing Zorin OS 16.0 is due out any day. Should I wait for it or start with 15.3? (It looks like the countdown expected 16.0 to be out by today, so I have no idea how long "any day now" might acutally be.)

2. If I buy 15.3, do I have to pay for 16.0?

3. Is it usually fairly easy to upgrade from an older major release to a new one?

And finally.

1. One of the main things I hope to do is to get Steam running on this laptop to play LegoWorld with my 7-y-o grandson. I think this machine is more powerful than others I have available for it. Do I need Ultimate to run Steam?

(I spent a little time doing some searches, and haven't really found many answers. Hopefully I'm not asking bloody obvious questions that are answered in a zillion places! Please forgive me if I am.)

1 Like

Zorin16 Beta is available and will be able to handle all but the latest ( except just released in the past 3months) hardware. Your best bet to minimize issues is to run the Beta. 15.3 is solid for hardware that is rougly a year old or older, but there was a gap in support for hardware, hence the many troubleshooting topics on the forum regarding issues.

You can get a copy of beta here:

You do not have to buy any version of Zorin. There is nothing in Zorin Ultimate that isn't in the regular Core or Lite versions (though software that would be bundled for your convenience will have to be downloaded separately in the Core or Lite versions). We choose to pay for Ultimate to support the development because we believe what they are doing. This choice is not tied to any specific feature offered by any specific version. They all do what the others do, though with a different desktop environment in the different versions (core/lite).

Until later this year (year's end is what I'm hearing) there is no way to "upgrade" from one version to the next. A clean install must be performed. If you do choose to install Zorin, it will be a clean install unless you wait until the end of the year. I would recommend this anyway, and to dual-boot between your favorite OS's (or necessary OS's depending on your point of view). I do recommend if you do a dual-boot, please follow the recommended partitioning here:

Steam can be downloaded on any version of Linux, though not all games work as intended, and still may require a win installation. For LegoWorld to work, you should be fine.

Lists the instructions for installing the linux version of steam, and will work for any distro (Zorin 16 included) based on Ubuntu 20.04

Edit:

Google is your friend, but it may take certain wording to get the results you want. Try preceding with how to and keep it as generic as possible, i.e. "how to install steam on linux" or if you know the os and version (even the base) :
"how to install steam on Ubuntu 20.04"

Gave me these results:

[

How to install Steam on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux ...

https://linuxconfig.org › how-to-install-steam-on-ubunt...
](https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-steam-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux)

May 3, 2020 — Install Steam from Ubuntu package repository. Confirm that the multiverse Ubuntu repository is enabled: $ sudo add-apt-repository multiverse $ sudo apt update. Install Steam package: $ sudo apt install steam. Use your desktop menu to start Steam or alternatively execute the following command: $ steam.

[

How to Install Steam on Ubuntu 20.04 | Linuxize

https://linuxize.com › post › how-to-install-steam-on-ub...
](https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-steam-on-ubuntu-20-04/)

Jul 7, 2020 — ... developed by Valve Corporation for purchasing and playing video games. This article explains how to install the Steam client on Ubuntu 20.04.

[

How to Install Steam in Ubuntu 20.04 – Linux Hint

https://linuxhint.com › install-steamos-on-ubuntu
](How to Install Steam in Ubuntu 20.04)

Step 1: Update and Upgrade System. Step 2: Enable Multiverse Repository. Step 3: Install Steam Package. Step 4: Launch Steam Application. Step 1: Download Official Steam Debian Package. Step 2: Install Steam Using Debian Package. Step 3: Launch Steam Application.

It would be the same in any search engine you use.

3 Likes

Installation from USB, though I would use Rufus or UnetBootIn instead of Balena:

Make sure to boot into Windows on one of your restarts, prior to starting the install. Under Power Options -> Change what closing the lid does or Change what pushing the power button does you get a window that has a section greyed out at the bottom. Make sure you click the shield, provide your password or hit allow, then change the FastBoot option to unchecked (disabled). If you don't do this you will have a corrupt windows installation and be unable to write to the partition to share data. Do this prior to re-partitioning.

3 Likes

Thanks so much 337harvey!

1 Like