[ISSUE] Text editing cursor position changes while typing

I have recently installed the latest version of Zorin OS and found an issue with the keyboard focus on any text editing fields.

Let's suppose I am writing something in a text editor (any app, web or code editor), suddenly the cursor position changes to some random location and continues typing at that place. Every time this happens, I need to bring the cursor to the actual position again.

This is irritating when I am in a flow of writing code or text.

I have checked in other OS (Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Windows 10, Windows 11) in the same system but those all do not have this problem. This seems an issue in Zorin OS only.

Did anyone face this issue? How can I solve it as this is very annoying?

It sounds like you are using a laptop. I had to turn off my touchpad on my laptop because when typing I would sometimes hit the touchpad with my thumb and cause the cursor to jump to someplace I didn't want it. Some OS's seem to be more sensitive to how long you accidentally touch the touchpad.

1 Like

Touchpad is not an issue here. I have double confirmed by not hovering on top of my touchpad. Even if I type from a side (just for testing), the cursor position in the text editing panel changes automatically.

And yes, one more thing. The mouse cursor stays at its actual position.

Seems an issue with the OS only. Please help!

What graphics card are you using?

sudo lshw -c video

Here it is:

We could test whether the Radeon Driver is the culprit:
Try

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Arrow key down to the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and add the nomodeset parameter so that it looks exactly like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
Tap ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to save the current configuration and exit.
The terminal will revert to normal. Now, you must run

sudo update-grub

in order for grub to see the changes so they take effect.
Reboot and test the graphical glitch on the cursor...

Hi Aravisian,

I think you misunderstood the issue that I am facing. Correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

Let's say, I am trying to write "I love Zorin OS". Instead of that, the system writes it as "I loZorin OSve". See the placement of the string "Zorin OS" (marked in BOLD).

This is happening because the focus changes from "I love" to "I lo".

The cursors are managed by X11, which is why I suggested seeing if it was a graphics glitch.
I could be wrong - but it is an easy test to try and to revert.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.