Issue with Keyboard Switching and Text Selection

Hello Zorin Community,

I'm encountering a peculiar issue with my Zorin OS setup, specifically when switching keyboard layouts. I hope someone here can provide some insight or assistance.

I'm frequently using the keyboard shortcut (Win+Space) to switch between languages while I'm typing. However, when I do this, I've noticed that occasionally all the text I've typed in a text field so far becomes selected automatically. This causes any further typing to replace the already typed text, which can be quite disruptive.

Here are the details of my system:

• Zorin OS version: Zorin OS 16.2
  • Laptop model: Lenovo P50 20EQS0TR01
  • Keyboard layouts: [('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'cz+qwerty'), ('xkb', 'hu'), ('xkb', 'sk+qwerty')]

But the issue appeared also with Zorin 15 and with my previous laptop HP EliteBook 840.

I've attempted the following troubleshooting steps so far, without any luck:

1. Updated the system using sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
  2. Checked and reconfigured the keyboard settings under "Region & Language"

Unfortunately, none of these steps have resolved the issue. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if there are other troubleshooting steps I can try. I'd appreciate any guidance on how to prevent the text selection from happening when switching keyboards.

Many thanks for your assistance in advance!

Best regards, M

Extremely disruptive. You could lose a lot of work that way.

The only thing I can think of is that in the act of switching, the keyboard layout misreads the command. The "select all" shortcut is ctrl+a

As a test, you might disable or change the ctrl+a shortcut and then reboot and test a few times if tapping super+space no longer selects all text.

Fortunately, I do not recall to experience the behaviour while typing long texts, in a notepad or LibreOffice or in Evolution email messages -- and there I'm switching keyboards while typing quite often.

The OS login password field is where it [the selection after switch] happens often. But not when I try to replicate the behaviour. It maybe has to do with something i do very quickly while typing -- although, I'm sure, I do not touch the CTRL key.

Painfully, I admit I agree with this possibility. I have run into this issue with myself many times.
I do not think you are hitting the control key, but that in entering the super+space quickly, the keyboard layout switched so quickly it registers while your keypresses are still down.

1 Like

OK, I'll give it more time to observe the behaviour and myself.

I'm positive that this issue is not user behaviour induced, but website form or browser or OS settings.

I occasionally find a website where the forms are misbehaving and switching language is a well-defined Win+Space that highlights the already entered text.

E.g., it is the check-out form (address) for https://www.hotchilli.cz/

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.