Issues with Sound on Pro 16

So installed kernel suggested please refer to screenshot.

In Alsamixer
what do you see if you hit [F6]. Any other sound cards listed?
Please post a screenshot.

Per this thread on reddit it is working in 5.15rc1:

1 Like

Updated to latest firmware and still more of the same, dummy output.

From web search using "Dell XPS 17 9710 Ubuntu 20.04 No Sound" I see many reports of the same from Ubuntu and Dell support sites. The bug appears to have been acknowledged, but can't see which kernel will have the sound fixed without breaking something else.

1 Like

Just tested Ubuntu budgie 21.10 sound works great on kernel 5.13 on xps 9710. Is it possible to install this kernel on zorin Pro 16? Any help or feedback on this is appreciated

Would prefer official 5.13 kernel since I use vmware workstation

Thanks

Negative, please do not do this. Installing kernel 5.18 will break the system, and it will require a reinstall after, so not recommended.

I don't recall seeing kernel 5.18, I asked about 5.13 official.

Let me rephraze. Do not manually install any newer kernel, then what Zorin OS came with in its last update. Zorin's try to make sure the kernel's are ready for the OS before they release them to the next update schedual.

Those who have manually installed a newer kernel on their Zorin OS installation, shortly reported that they no longer had a working computer, and thus required a re-install. So again, DO NOT manually install a newer kernel.

OK thanks for the warning. However in current state zorin is unusable. I hold multiple meetings throughout the day and without on board sound I'm unable to use it correctly. I would still like to give it a shot. It's unusable as is.

OK, just have your installation media ready incase it all goes belly up. I wish you luck Masterpier!

PM sent.

Do you know if the Microphone works?

Great way to tell, is to install Pulse Audio, and then take a look at your INPUT tab. Make sure your microphone is selected, and then just look for activity if its unmuted. Like this!

Just tried KDE Neon with latest kernel 5.11.40 sound works great, hoping for an updated ISO from Zorin sometime soon

2 Likes

Just installed zorin again updated to latest kernel. Sound is working great :+1:.

3 Likes

Not sure if you ever got this resolved. This fix on youtube worked on one of my laptops, but didn't on my mini computer that I run our NOC Center plugged into one of my TV's in my office. How to fix no sound in ubuntu and Zorin OS - YouTube

Please let me know if you resolved this if you don't mind.

thank s for your kind information