It happens again - experience with software and hardware on Zorin

I noticed that on yesterday's temperature displays (gpu22, vrm2), Fan Speed = 0 RPM
Today (temp3) Fan Speed = 1765 RPM

Yes but my experiment was windows.

today to go Linux operating system.
690x388
Then I back the windows and my gpu is crazy.

I don't understand that. Why information are N/A?

About gaming and xfce.
When I using alt+TAB to changing windows, example spotify,vivaldi are ok but when back to warframe then I cannot. Like a mouse don't response or freeze or don't recognize a game. On Zorin 16 Pro i don't catch that problems.
I can trying update from xfce to xfce pro but idk if this help.

If you are dual-booting with Windows. On Windows do you have AMD Catalyst Control Centre app?
If you have it, you can access the Catalyst Control Centre by right click on Windows desktop.
That should provide you Informations and Settings for AMD Graphics.

I don't have dual booting with Windows. Two operating systems are diffrent hard disks. I tried command sudo update-grub but after restart linux not in option menu linux windows7. App i have but don't using that.
I suspictions somewhere in software must be some bug amd or something because my gpu working normal. Sometimes on some software i taken black screen. Something like some code or parts another things doing black screen. New version AMD rtx 5000 and forward also have that problems. It could also dieying my gpu but i cannot believe that.

I wonder if it is somehow kernel related, but as you have reported these problems before, I assume you have had kernel updates during that time.

Did you ever try any older kernels?

@Aravisian has said a few times that AMD is not best for Linux support.

EDIT: See this. May be applicable :

@zabadabadoo I remember first kernel with Zorin 16 Pro.
Everything working like I am in paradise.
With more updates it going worse.
Apple also is unix. One what I can sayed brothers Zorin better focus on one project. I know one a man wrote a linux Temple OS with 120 000 line a code.
I know this is hard work. I am using Zorin xfce without pro but i can sayed I seeing the diffrents. I can sayed Pro is better when tested Gnome version Zorin 16 Pro. I understand also if i want Pro xfce i need fresh installation.
I will working on this and checked how long it will be stable.
When Zorin 17 will be I also will buying that version.

@zabadabadoo My graphic card is Hawaii from ice age Jun 18th, 2015

1 Like

I just edited my previous post as I saw something Aravisian posted about regression in kernel 5.13 affecting AMD Ryzen

I remember my graphic card have before two all the same problems from Zorin 12 and 15.3 black screen and mouse and keyboard what not working.
Now in Zorin 16 pro mouse and keyboard working. My graphic card working that means something changed for better. I don't understand one. On Zorin my gpu have 60 degrees temperature but fans on gpu not working. Why? That is mean on linux fans not working and that why i have high temperatures?

I did websearch using "amd gpu fans not running Ubuntu 20.04"

Found this:

@aravisian in a reply on Feb 15, '22
So which drivers are normal where fans are working? Older drivers?
Problem with the R9 390 is that by default fans stay silent and expect to be managed by the driver and not based on target temperature which can lead to issues with the VRAM chips - especially VRAM 2. BINGO

Temple OS is a true Phenominon.

In your case, you may need to use dpm.query.
Or the grub paramters:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1"

sudo update-grub

bourne@bourne-MS-7916:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] hasło użytkownika bourne:
Sourcing file /etc/default/grub' Sourcing file /etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generowanie pliku konfiguracyjnego GRUB-a...
Znaleziono motyw: /usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt
Znaleziono obraz Linuksa: /boot/vmlinuz-5.13.0-28-generic
Znaleziono obraz initrd: /boot/initrd.img-5.13.0-28-generic
Znaleziono obraz Linuksa: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-41-generic
Znaleziono obraz initrd: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-41-generic
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings
gotowe

So. Then i discovered i need software what steering my fan gpu. Now fans working, here is psensor temperatures.

2 Likes

Bought new gpu.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.