Kernel changes in version 17.1 of Zorin OS

The OS kernel is now being updated in line with the non-LTS kernel of the Ubuntu?
If not, is there a recommended way to allow the system to always follow the latest version made available by non-LTS Ubuntu?

No, not directly. On Zorin OS we have the 6.5 Kernel. That Kernel comes from Ubuntu. And Ubuntu put in this Kernel Stuff from the Kernel from Ubuntu 23.10 to make the 6.5 Kernel more up-to-date.

If you want to install newer Kernel You could use the Mainline Program to install newer Kernels. But for this You must add a Repo. But there is one thing: You should ask Yourself if You really need a newer Kernel or if You simply want a newer Kernel.

2 Likes

I mean the Ubuntu kernel, for example, currently Mantic, which is version 23.10 and on which the news said Zorin was based.

Whether the update on Zorin OS will follow the Mantic updates (and later) or whether it's something different.

I and some other people who have installed Zorin OS are confused about this news and I'm looking for information to clear up these doubts.

Ubuntu takes the Updates from the Mantic Kernel and ported them in the existing 6.5 Kernel on Ubuntu 22. It is a Support Update for the 6.5 Kernel. Kernel Updates in common are coming from Ubuntu.

1 Like

Zorin OS 17 is based on Ubuntu 22.04.
It does indeed contain a higher kernel than its base as well as Gnome 43 instead of Gnome 42.
However, any source saying Zorin OS is based on Mantic is incorrect.

Zorin OS uses the Jammy repositories, not Mantic. Zorin OS is based on LTS releases, only.

1 Like