Keyboard and mouse are off leaving monitor as in a Frozen state

Aravisian I was trying to see if my other desktop has this issue after leaving it on I just checked it and it was off, either wife turned it off or it turned itself off so lost the attempt. My computer is now staying on 2 - 3 days before the Freeze then reboot and back to normal. As I said the number of days it stays on is changed by the latest update. Just install an update about an hour ago.

This office computer is a Gigabyte Aorus AX370-Gaming 5 AMD RYZEN 7 1700 8Core 3.0 GHz processor, G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) with SS drives. Have one GX4420d Zebra shipping label printer and one Canon Maxify MB2720 desktop printer. I don't play any games on it just office use.

When we installed Zorin OS16 Pro everything installed with no problem except the Canon printer. Aravisian if you recall we tried many things for several days and nothing worked then I started playing around with several things and finally got it to install. Doing a fresh install and then not being able to get the Canon printer installed again is my only concern on a fresh install.

So I am ready to try troubleshooting steps first. I will need simplified steps being 83 my computer brain is a little slow.

I haven't seen any slowness in you, yet. I am half your age, though and feeling a bit slow myself...
Could you detail what issues you need to troubleshoot using small words for my own brain to grasp?

Here is your last reply to me.
Yes, a reinstall would revert the system back to just as it was when you freshly installed the first time (not including updates).
Personalized software you installed and personal files would be removed.
You can back up personal files prior to reinstalling.

However, you may prefer to open a thread about your specific freezing issue with your specs and hardware info, first. We can try troubleshooting steps before considering a Fresh Reinstallation.

To figure out why this computer freezes since day 1 of install many months ago now.

1 Like

Ok, so this is a Gnome-Shell freezing issue?

If you say so how can we find out? I know it is not a hardware issue.

If Gnome Shell is freezing, the entire desktop locks up and becomes unresponsive as described here:

Is that what you are experiencing?

I just unpluged the keyboard and when I plug it back in it is responsive, So that means to me the answer to your question is YES.
So does that mean the GNOME code is broken or does it mean the GNOME code installed on my computer is broke?

This is tougher to answer... -chuckle- but Gnome-Shell freezing is a pretty common problem.
https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/fix-frozen-gnome-desktop-session/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments/fw21lg/gnome_desktop_shell_freezes_except_for_mouse/

What you may try to see if it helps resolve your issue is:

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

to reinstall the shell.
You may rename your home config directory and log out and in

mv ~/.config ~/.config-bkp

to see if any custom configurations are causing the issue.

Or you may disable all gnome extensions, then test using the desktop with all extensions disabled to see if the freezing stops. If it does, that will narrow it down to a faulty gnome extension...

It's 2:00am here and the above will take me some time to go through. Give me until Tue to figure this out.
Thanks,

1 Like

It's the same time here, so I am relieved...

I have reinstall zorin-os-desktop. I will give it a few day to see if it still freezes.
llp@llp-AX370-Gaming-5:~/Desktop$ sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop
[sudo] password for llp:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
zorin-os-feedback
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 8,156 B of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /zorinos/stable/ubuntu focal/main amd64 zorin-os-desktop amd64 1.5.12 [8,156 B]
Fetched 8,156 B in 0s (19.4 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 327084 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../zorin-os-desktop_1.5.12_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking zorin-os-desktop (1.5.12) over (1.5.12) ...
Setting up zorin-os-desktop (1.5.12) ...

To reinstall the shell. I don't remember enough to be able to get started.
To disable all gnome ext. this is greek.
Be back in few days, waiting to see how many days until it freezes.

The command you just ran to reinstall the Zorin-OS-Desktop also reinstalled Gnome-Shell ; this action is now done.:slight_smile:

This one is quite easy, no need to worry.
Install a tool for it:

sudo apt install gnome-tweaks

Launch the tool:

gnome-tweaks

Move to the Extensions tab and uncheck all of the extensions to disable them all.

It did not freeze up or I didn't wait long enough period.
I think now the problem has changed since I ran that command now the internet drops out and had to restart to get it back.
Is there some command to run if internet drops again? If so then I could run a longer trial on the Freeze.
Would you run the disable gnome ext or first wait until we find out the final outcome of the other command first. I am leaning to wait.

I do not understand this question; The only command run above was to Install Gnome Tweak tool.
After that, the rest of the tasks would be performed using the gnome-tweaks GUI window.
If it disabled your net- I would look for any gnome-extensions that deal with Net and re-enable them, then continue the Freeze Testing.

The command I am talking about is "reinstall zorin-os-desktop" now the internet drops out and had to restart to get it back. Is there some command to run instead of re-booting to get internet back if internet drops out again? If so then I could run a longer trial on the Freeze.
Is this more clear?

Ah, I see. Are you on Wifi? If so, let's check if your powersave is on for Wifi:

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

Change the value of three to Two:

[connection]
wifi.powersave = 2

Tap ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to save and close the current configuration.
Reboot and test...

I am hardwired to a network switch.

At 3:34m computer froze up. Will run "disable all gnome ext" later this afternoon.

1 Like

I have all EXT off. I assume I leave it in this state for several days to see if it still will freeze. If it does not then turn on 1 EXT and do it again. Follow this procedure until all EXT are back on.
Is this correct?

How often did freezing occur, or were freezes something you could replicate or produce with certain actions?

The longest period has been 3 days then the next update can/will change it to maybe 1 day or two days. The worse it has been was freezing 3 times a day.
Right now it seems to be 3 days, we are on day two of last freeze. Have not been able to replicate or produce with certain actions.
This computer stays on 24/7 and I will come in generally 8:00 am (to process out going mail) and it is frozen.
So I assume if the computer goes for 4-5 days then freezes that would mean the EXT were not the issue since all are off.

1 Like