Keyboard and mouse are off leaving monitor as in a Frozen state

How do I switch to driver-460? No the freeze doesn't happen after updates. What I tried to convey was if the freeze period was every 2 days I noticed if I installed a new update that may change the period when the freeze happens or the update may have no effect on the period of time before the next freeze or the freeze period could change and be worse. Whatever it changes to that is what I am stuck with until next update hoping the freeze period will be a longer period of time before the next freeze happens.

If you do not see it listed, try:

sudo apt install nvidia-dkms-460

I think if updates are affecting the issue, they are related.

I agree some part of source code in the update does effect my problem. You could be looking at the line of code and have no clue that if effect or causes the freeze.
Here is the results on 490 driver install: will you look at it and see if there is anything else I need to do or did it install correctly? See BOLD line.

llp@llp-AX370-Gaming-5:~/Desktop$ sudo apt install nvidia-dkms-460
[sudo] password for llp:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
** zorin-os-feedback**
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
nvidia-dkms-460
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 7,200 B of archives.
After this operation, 20.5 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/restricted amd64 nvidia-dkms-460 amd64 470.129.06-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 [7,200 B]
Fetched 7,200 B in 0s (21.3 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-dkms-460.
(Reading database ... 327161 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../nvidia-dkms-460_470.129.06-0ubuntu0.20.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-dkms-460 (470.129.06-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) ...
Setting up nvidia-dkms-460 (470.129.06-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) ...
llp@llp-AX370-Gaming-5:~/Desktop$

Looks good.
You can now select that driver in the Software & Updates > additional Drivers tab.

software-properties-gtk

If you need.

I re-ran software-properties-gtk and the list of drivers is less than before but driver 460 is not listed. 470 is still selected.

I ran this again. See the last line does this mean that 470.129.06....... is really 460

llp@llp-AX370-Gaming-5:~$ sudo apt install nvidia-dkms-460
[sudo] password for llp:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
nvidia-dkms-460 is already the newest version (470.129.06-0ubuntu0.20.04.1).

Now I am going to restart the computer and see what Additional Drivers has.

That did not change anything. What's up Doc?

This is a very good question.

I am not sure...
I know that the 470.129 package deals with the libnvidia-decode or libnvidia-encode...
Looking into this further I found this:
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/focal/restricted/proposed/libnvidia-decode-460

I had looked this up earlier and read that the 460 driver is the preferred driver for the 750ti, as the later drivers have some issues with that card.
But what this looks like is that it is the same package as the 470 in the end...

It looks like the deleted the other/old 460 in Feb 2022 and not this revised 470.129.06 is the latest.
Well back to how many days can I get before the next freeze. Tomorrow night will be the first day since I have to start over.
If I get four days without a freeze I think the first EXT to turn back on will be "Zorin Menu" what do you say?

I actually would turn that one on now. It's a pretty essential thing unless you have a deep love for alt-F2 or a ton of launchers handy...
And if it was freezing Zorin OS (which is unlikely) then there would be far bigger problems to contend with...:wink:

I turn Zorin Menu EXT back on and at 3:30 am it froze. I rebooted computer and turned Zorin Menu back off.

Well, my jaw dropped.
Maybe test that a couple times to see if the results can be replicated - and they can be - we have a possible culprit.

Here is my plan.
1st Do not install any updates. Computer is now up todate.
2nd See how many days (up to 5 days never gotten over 3) I can get before it freezes with "Zorin Menu" EXT OFF.
3rd Turn "Zorin Menu" ON see how many days before it Freezes.
4th Repeat this two more times.
5th If the Zorin Gods haven't come up with anything then I will turn back on all EXT that were on before except "Zorin Menu" and see if the Freezing stays similar as in 2nd step. Install any updates.

1 Like

All EXT off and just got Freeze @1:19 am.
Will try this 1 more time.

This freezing problem reminds me of old Windows Blue Screen of Death. I starting to think Zorin 16 Core has something similar and it will be very unlikely if we find anything that will lead to the real problem. Because it will freeze just sitting idle or it will freeze when I am using the Edge browser.

Our electrical power went off just long enough to cause the computer to restart. So on 06/08 @ 1:19 am will be day two (I think) without a freeze. If I can get to day 4 then may be on to something. If it freezes on third day that tells me the EXT have nothing to do with it.

What do you think or do you have something else in mind or to try.

You may intensely dislike one proposed option:
Try Zorin OS Lite. The Freeze is a particular Gnome Desktop issue that does not afflict Zorin OS Lite which uses XFCE...

The only thing that scares me is after the install installing the canon MB2720 printer. It took several days getting the correct drivers, I just kept trying everything you suggested and some things I found on internet. I don't know what I did it just started working.

Question since the printer was installed should it reinstall finding the files/drivers it was using?
Would you explain in detail "how to install"?
Will the install of Zorin OS Lite delete all files and folders under Home?
Can Zorin OS Lite be installed as Dual Boot? Right now have Windows 10 and Zorin 16 Pro.

A bit like Ikea furniture, after the first nightmare assembly, it usually gets easier.
The drivers for your printer should be found here:
https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwODM5OTAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Once downloaded, extract the file. Opening the extracted directory, you will see a folder named Packages.
Open that and you will find cnijfilter2_5.40-1_amd64.deb
Double click that to run the installer.

That being said:

You could install Pro Lite that came with Zorin Pro alongside just for testing purposes. If it works out better for you, you could just sideways transfer any data from the Zorin Pro install, then use Gparted to format that partition and reclaim that space.
That is a bit of work, though. Honestly, if it was me... I would just Go For It and install Zorin OS Lite.
I'm a wild man, what can I say.
Alternatively... You could triple boot Pro Lite and test it out and if you like it and it all works out, including the printer with the drivers above... Reinstall Zorin Pro Lite after your testing is done, reclaiming the Pro and Lite partitions that way.

I don't like extra work either so I will just go for it.

What I do need to know is: Will all files and folders be deleted under "HOME"?
If so then I need to backup everything. I have a 128gb flash drive that Zorin 16 PRO is on and looks like about 123gb Writeable Area. I clicked on it and the menu that open did not have "make new folder" listed.

How do I make a Folder to store the backup files in this writeable area.

I will Go For It this weekend so if something goes wrong I will have almost 2 days to fix it.