Keyboard backlight not working

Hello I have latest Zorin 15 Education installed with Windows 10 in dual boot on My ASUS ROG STRIX G CORE G531GT. I installed Zorin yesterday everything was fine just common ‘fn’ key and keyboard backlight was issue I fixed most of ‘fn’ key and controlling keyboard rgb . Today when I booted my Zorin keyboard rgb backlight is turned off, I tried all available repo and script available online and github ( i.e. rogauracore and OpenRGB) but still backlight is not turning on. Even brightness control key has stopped working. I checked on keyboard setting and made volume on work. There is option for keyboard shortcut in keyboard settings its asking for command .M y function key are viz ( F1-mute F2 prev track F3 Play/pause F4 Next track F5 Fan control F6 Turn off display F7 Brightness down F8 Brightness Up F9 Switch to second display F10 touchpad off F11 Sleep F12 Airplane mode) I want to work them can anyone help?

Screenshot from 2021-03-04 13-12-04

I forget where I got it at, you would spend some time on google finding it, but I’ll recall it as best I can. open your terminal and go to acpi dir:

cd /etc/acpi

now make sure you have asus-keyboar-backlight.sh.

now enter the events folder. There should be two files, asus-keyboard-backlight-down and -up.

On the command line type:

acpi_listen

then press your function key + up and function key + down arrow combo (this is what it is on asus tuf a17) for the keyboard brightness up and down respectively.

press ctrl c. those two values are what you need. Terminal command:

sudo gedit asus-keyboard-backlight-up

inside paste or type your keyboard first acpi indication from the terminal…should look similar to this:

# /etc/acpi/events/asus-keyboard-backlight-up
# This is called when the user presses the key brightness
# up button and calls /etc/acpi/asus-keyboard-backlight.sh for
# further processing.

event=hotkey ATKD 000000c4
action=/etc/acpi/asus-keyboard-backlight.sh up

do the same for the down.

It should work after that .

If you don’t have the *backlight.sh file…it should have this script in it.

#!/bin/sh

# this directory is a symlink on my machine:
KEYS_DIR=/sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight

test -d $KEYS_DIR || exit 0

MIN=0
MAX=$(cat $KEYS_DIR/max_brightness)
VAL=$(cat $KEYS_DIR/brightness)

if [ “$1” = down ]; then
VAL=$((VAL-1))
else
VAL=$((VAL+1))
fi

if [ “$VAL” -lt $MIN ]; then
VAL=$MIN
elif [ “$VAL” -gt $MAX ]; then
VAL=$MAX
fi

echo $VAL > $KEYS_DIR/brightness

I hope I remembered all of it. reboot and login and you should be good.

1 Like

Glad I could help. You may run into other issues since it is a newer laptop. I had the same problem with the monitor brightness keys until I updated to the latest linux firmware. Other than that it's little things, trackpad toggle not working and such, I can deal until I find a distro that will support the latest hardware. Who knows if Zorin 16 will ever be released...meanwhile enjoy.